• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where's the Capoeira at?

They had a discussion on Capoeira kicking on Fight Science at on point - unfortunately the narrators didn't really understand the issues very well, and the methodology wasn't much better than a demonstration of basic physics. (And all martial artists should understand basic physics.)

First piece, here, from about 2 minutes on. Lateef's martelo do chao (they call it martelo do negativa, but it's the same basic kick) is more jumpy, almost chapeu de couro, and uses the falling of the lead foot more than our version, but he uses less wringing than I do. The piece cites him as a contra-mestre; that's a mid-upper level instructor rank, second to last. There are a lot of full mestres around, and I am hesitant to try to give an exact rank equivalency to any of it.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't figure out why they had Simon Rhee (who I thought was a TKD stylist) was the only one doing a front kick. I think they all should have been doing round kicks, to keep the data consistent.

I also noticed that shirts must have been optional....

I also have to admit that my understanding of the field of physics is not that strong.

Yeah, must have been trying to get a smile out of the women viewers..

By the way, I was on the Hiyaa podcast quite some time back, but I don't know how many people here noticed.. I had some background there that might be an interesting topic of discussion. (I had to dig up the url for someone else the other day.)

• 3 months later...
Mea lua de compasso is powered by gravity, spring tension in the torso, and rotation, rather than by any "hook"....
Thanks for that explanation, Justice. When I get a bit healthier, I will try to play with it a bit.

Did you ever work this one out?

Mea lua de compasso is powered by gravity, spring tension in the torso, and rotation, rather than by any "hook"....
Thanks for that explanation, Justice. When I get a bit healthier, I will try to play with it a bit.

Did you ever work this one out?

Hey, thanks for bringing this back to light! No, I have not yet, but I will work with it.

Mea lua de compasso is powered by gravity, spring tension in the torso, and rotation, rather than by any "hook".

Start by going to the side-facing stance, with feet and hips perpendicular to the target and the side facing the target. From a center or backweighted position, drop your torso and allow it to fall, swinging your head forward and between the legs, and put the hands on the ground as you have seen. (you should be looking between them or fully between them, rather than crossed.)

I'm confused here. I put both hands down, in front of me? And look between them to the rear?

I'm confused here. I put both hands down, in front of me? And look between them to the rear?
Go into a side stance, with your feet about a leg length apart.

Lean back a bit, then drop your torso between your legs as you shift your weight forward again. Should make a pattern like so: F= foot, H=hand, O=head

(target)
 F
H O H

F

You will be looking at your target, with your hands in sort've a handstand position trying to look around your base foot.

If that sounds twisted up worse than a Twister game gone wrong, you're right; your spine will have a lot of twist and bend in it in that position. As you load your hands, it will pick your back foot up, and that entire leg will release the tension by chopping around in something like a spinning lateral axe kick. The momentum will help lift your torso back up over your base leg again as you park the kicking foot back where it was before.[/code]

Edited by JusticeZero