• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where's the Capoeira at?

We have that kick, we call it a wheel kick. Only difference is that our upper body won't dip as low. True, we don't use that kick in sparring because you can't control it, however, we call it a Kamikaze kick. If it hits, you win, if it misses, you are very much open.

We have a wheel kick too, we call it a Rabo de Arraia. Main difference is that it works differently, has less power, and is a LOT! more vulnerable to counters or to random things turning it around. It's easier to hide in some techniques, and it might come up, so we teach it on occasion.

Mea lua de compasso isn't a wheel kick.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have that kick, we call it a wheel kick. Only difference is that our upper body won't dip as low. True, we don't use that kick in sparring because you can't control it, however, we call it a Kamikaze kick. If it hits, you win, if it misses, you are very much open.

We have a wheel kick too, we call it a Rabo de Arraia. Main difference is that it works differently, has less power, and is a LOT! more vulnerable to counters or to random things turning it around. It's easier to hide in some techniques, and it might come up, so we teach it on occasion.

Mea lua de compasso isn't a wheel kick.

How does your wheel kick differ from this other kick? What I mean, is, what mechanics differs them, I guess?

Mea lua de compasso is focused on the body drop and placing the hands down to channel the body tension through the long muscles of the back.

Rabo de arraia is focused on rotating the torso along the axis of the spine with the arms tight, channeling body tension through the twist of the spine.. I want to say this is the obliques, but i don't have any anatomy texts in front of me right now.

Needless to say, if you are using a different power generation method and a different muscle group, it's pretty safe to say that it isn't the same kick.

Edit: It also occurs to me that rabo de arraia involves the leg muscles as well, glutes in this case. That makes it a bit of an odd duck.

I kind of have that how much force and speed to use problem when sparring people who do a redirecting and joint lock type style like aikido. It's kind of an either be compliant and get thrown or go very hard and fast kind of thing... just not very compatible for sparring, though I could be wrong, heh! Seems like it's either "let them hurt you, or hurt them" kind of thing instead of a free trade of techniques. I think maybe this calls for a new thread!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Yeah, I also remember one of your blog posts being similar, where you were sparring with someone else and keeping the contact very light (for your school) only to have them go all snooty and superior on you about how "you have no control" when your rough and tumble style's idea of "light" wasn't the touch tag she was used to.

As if attacking with zero force habitually was a good thing to begin with... if I want to hit someone who is trying to hurt me, I don't want to "control" it, I want to make them fall down.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this come up on a completely unrelated web search.

I rather like Lateef Crowder's fight scenes; the stuff where he has two points of contact or more with the floor is often actually a halfway reasonable application.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqVTHPGU2Y

Justice, I really like it when you get involved with discussions about your art. It's such a different martial background and set of artistry than I, and probably most of us, come out of it's just amazing. I just spent quite a bit of time working thru the thread and trying to wrap my head around it it.

Super cool. I truly hope I get to share some training time with you or another equally well versed practitioner of your art at some point. Until then, I feel that I must go out and see everyone one of the films listed in that highlight reel. Thanks!

Justice, I really like it when you get involved with discussions about your art. It's such a different martial background and set of artistry than I, and probably most of us, come out of it's just amazing. I just spent quite a bit of time working thru the thread and trying to wrap my head around it it.

Super cool. I truly hope I get to share some training time with you or another equally well versed practitioner of your art at some point. Until then, I feel that I must go out and see everyone one of the films listed in that highlight reel. Thanks!

^this! Thank you from me as well :)

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

I rather like Lateef Crowder's fight scenes; the stuff where he has two points of contact or more with the floor is often actually a halfway reasonable application.

That guy's an incredible athlete. Lots of fun to watch. I imagine he's likely on the far end of the talent spectrum. Always fun to watch things like this.

That guy's an incredible athlete. Lots of fun to watch. I imagine he's likely on the far end of the talent spectrum. Always fun to watch things like this.

Seeing his movements, I can see the practical implication of Capoeira. Very interesting style. I'm very interested in learning more.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█