• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where's the Capoeira at?

In my opinion, you're right - people who think it's impractical either don't know it or don't do it right. I think people who say that either just see the roda, which isn't real combat, but at the same time, they teach fundamental principles of non-resistance and escaping attacks, as well as effective kicks, strikes and takedowns, but people only see the acrobatics and high "flashy" kicks, and make that judgement. I think any style can be practical if you know how to use it that way.

Unfortunately, that's all I've seen as well. I'd love to do some friendly sparring against a Capoeira stylist to see the real combat style of it.

I checked out the site and will see about coming in one day. Might drop into a Friday beginner class as long as your Mestre doesn't mind people from other styles dropping in to check it out :) Also, I'd love to meet you if you're there. There are a few Montrealers on the forum, but I haven't had the chance to meet any of them yet.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, that's all I've seen as well. I'd love to do some friendly sparring against a Capoeira stylist to see the real combat style of it.

I checked out the site and will see about coming in one day. Might drop into a Friday beginner class as long as your Mestre doesn't mind people from other styles dropping in to check it out :) Also, I'd love to meet you if you're there. There are a few Montrealers on the forum, but I haven't had the chance to meet any of them yet.

Well, if you're in the Montreal area, we could meet up at some point to compare styles and spar a little bit. Also, if you're thinking of trying a class, I'd recommend coming on Saturday rather than Friday, because on Saturday, the Contra-Mestre also has a 45-minute session after the class to introduce the art to beginners. Just something to keep in mind, but any day of the week would be good to come check it out.

"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water." -Bruce Lee

My Saturdays are already taken up by Kempo so I'll have to squeeze it in after work.

Ste-Cat between Bleury and St-Alex, right?

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

That's right - any time you can drop in during "beginner" hours, the Contra-Mestre will let you try a class for free

"Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water." -Bruce Lee

Sparring is.. always problematic.

People who do linear styles love to spar, because to win at sparring, all you have to do is "use control", that is, use a faster strike with intentionally bad technique that puts no body mass behind it. They flick a jab out at super speed and tag the other person with a quick and harmless technique, and are confident that they have proven superior skill.

Then we get in, and our techniques are all based around large spinning techniques that use a lot of body mass. You can't whip half of your body mass at someone at 40MPH from a large body drop and then suddenly stop it on a dime based on the friction you can generate on the ball of your foot. The engineering and physics just don't work that way.

If we want to not break people who don't know how to evade attacks like we do, we have to slow the whole technique down - at which point they go "flickflickflickflickflick, see your style doesn't work", then get tapped by a kick that we're keeping throttled back while trying not to be totally slomo and go "And you have no -control-!"

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

It is probably old news for most people posting in this thread, but I saw a couple of videos of Capoeira ring fighters a few weeks ago and thought they were very interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJTrXxsv2-4&feature=related

As a Karateka, I find some of those kicks very sneaky. I would love to spar with some Capoeira practitioners.

In my opinion, you're right - people who think it's impractical either don't know it or don't do it right. I think people who say that either just see the roda, which isn't real combat, but at the same time, they teach fundamental principles of non-resistance and escaping attacks, as well as effective kicks, strikes and takedowns, but people only see the acrobatics and high "flashy" kicks, and make that judgement. I think any style can be practical if you know how to use it that way.

Gee, Taekwondo tends to get that rap, too....

It is probably old news for most people posting in this thread, but I saw a couple of videos of Capoeira ring fighters a few weeks ago and thought they were very interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJTrXxsv2-4&feature=related

As a Karateka, I find some of those kicks very sneaky. I would love to spar with some Capoeira practitioners.

Those were some very nasty knockouts.

I did Taekwondo for a while, and you're right, it gets that sort of rap, really viewed as ineffective fighting - the trick is to do it right; I wasn't, so I wasn't really kicking hard, just fast, my kicks were basically slaps :P but then I started Muay Thai and Capoeira and my kicks are now insanely strong - easily my strongest suit in sparring. But my Taekwondo training really helped me build my kick foundation.

I'm not sure why I typed all this - I guess I'm missing Taekwondo a little bit. One day I'll go back and get my black belt.

I did Taekwondo for a while, and you're right, it gets that sort of rap, really viewed as ineffective fighting - the trick is to do it right; I wasn't, so I wasn't really kicking hard, just fast, my kicks were basically slaps :P but then I started Muay Thai and Capoeira and my kicks are now insanely strong - easily my strongest suit in sparring. But my Taekwondo training really helped me build my kick foundation.

I'm not sure why I typed all this - I guess I'm missing Taekwondo a little bit. One day I'll go back and get my black belt.

Don't fret it man; thanks for sharing your thoughts here. As a TKD guy, I've always appreciated Capeoira, and would love to give it a go sometime.