• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hey there!

kamasabi

Hey there all, what's goin on! For now I'll keep my name anonymous, but I'm currently 25 and started up doing karate about 3 or 4 months ago and so far I'm loving it! Did it once when I was a little kid and never really got into it, but now that I'm older and finally have some income, I thought it'd be a fun thing to do and is great exercise in the process. Currently working as a network administrator and there is nothing better than getting out on the mat, meeting new people and learning some martial arts in the process! :)

Right now I'm currently studying at a Tiger Rock academy (Bowen's Tiger Rock Academy specifically in Woodstock, GA), and it seems like a great place to be. The instructors are always friendly and helpful, it feels like I'm actually getting something out of it, and helping keep me in shape regardless. I actually look forward to going to class there. Right now I'm a level 1 green belt so I finally get to start sparring.

As for what brings me to the forum....It's more a curiosity thing. Has anyone else ever studied at a tiger rock academy? I pretty much went there as a couple of coworkers go there and they seem to be pretty satisfied with it and so far, so am I. However, just going online and doing some research on them, I've heard of things such as price hiking, being referred to as a "mcdojo" in some cases (after all, it is a franchise), among other things. For those that have and have tried other dojos, what is your opinion of it? I'm sure it will vary from place to place, but I'm very curious to hear your opinions if you're here.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Welcome to KF. :karate: I can't offer any info on the school you attend, but if it seems like you're getting quality instruction, and you enjoy it there, then go with it for a while! :)

Welcome kamasabi :)

Never trained with them but the stuff website seems ok..

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Hi and welcome!

I spent many a year in what is considered a McDojo but came out a well versed Shodan. Don't trust others, if you feel you're not getting the training you are paying for, then you will know.

Good luck and keep it up :) Martial arts are amazing. I don't know where I would be without them.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█