• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Lower block body mechanics

RJCKarate

Hi guys,

First some background:

I practice a style of Okinawan Karate that uses the ‘hips on’ motion when performing a lower block (and most other blocks), especially when in front stance.

By ‘hips on’ I mean that when the block is in the pre-blocking position the hips are cocked back, and when the block is executed the opposite hip to blocking arm is pushed forward so that the hips become square. The basic idea behind this is that the hips are the motor of the body, and by driving the hips into the block the whole body weight and not just the arm is put into the block. There are other style-specific mechanics such as a whip-like motion and 'snaping' instead of 'thrusting/clubbing', but for this topic it’s less relevant.

My style of Karate is more about in-close fighting, and we prefer to move inward/toward/slighty around an attack rather than backwards when defending. We also try to use the block as a strike, hence the importance of the weight behind the ‘block’.

I have had a new student join my dojo from a Goju-kai/Shotokan mixed style where they block with the ‘hips off’ in comparison to my ‘hips on’ (meaning their hips aren’t square, and opposite hip to blocking hand is pulled back). I have seen this demonstrated in a variety of styles.

My limited understanding of the ‘hips off’ is that it works when moving backwards as it sort of ‘pushes’ the block into the attack, rather than ‘snapping’ (as we do) into it. I had the student try both, and he said he felt that the ‘hips on’ had more power, especially if wanting to move into an opponent.

Here are videos to demonstrate what I mean (just look at hip motion):

Hips on:

Hips off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdcQTBFmeQg#t=1m56s

Now the question:

Which one do you do, why do you do it, and if you have done both, which do you prefer?

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've done both. Coming from the same base art as you've listed, I'm sure you can guess which I've got more experience using and which feels more natural to me. "On" has a better feel to it and settling weight into a technique. I think mentally it fits my nature. I'm an aggressive, forward fighter, so snapping and setting my weight down and into a movement is right where I live.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

I use both--it depends on what the technique is being used for. As an example, I would use the "hips off" method if applying gedan uke/barrai as an arm lock, but I would use the "hips on" method if using it to strike the groin.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I have used both, and will typically practice both. If I'm doing a kata such as heian shodan, then I will typically do "hips on". But in other situations where I am not rotating my whole body I tend to use the "hips off". I find hips off to be a quicker movement and I don't need to push the attack as far. The movement of "hips off" for me turns my body in a way so that I am almost dodging the attack as well.

I had to do a few down blocks in a few different situations to figure out which one I do more often :P I definitely prefer "hips off". It's a bit different but I like the counterbalance it has or the yin and yang of the motion. I find it to be a very balance movement.

However "hips on" has an interesting aspect that it definitely lends itself to simultaneous defense and attack with the other hand. Additionally the defending hand can also move in a circular motion back to the hip which re-instates the yin-yang of the movement.

I've used both...I use both...I like them both, and the immediate parameters dictate their usage/time of execution.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

In my Shotokan training, we used to use "hips on" because it helps to recoil to be able to reverse punch easier. My current Sensei prefers "hips off". But he also loves blocking from the reverse side which trains us to use our hips more anyhow (Think of the reverse inner chest block in Heian Nidan). Last night, we spent almost the entire class going thru all blocks on the reverse side. My obliques are killing me!!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

I think either can work, but it will mostly depend on the way your are going, front or back like you say, or, if you've done a move that has brought the hips to the "on" position, and you need to perform another move, like that block/strike shown in the second video, then it would be wiser, I think to move the hips into the "off" position, which will still provide some snap and power into the technique, and will be quicker than "reloading" the hip to get a forward motion.