• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Letting Go

I've one little question...

When is it time to let students go from under your wing?

Once they're Sandan [3rd Dan]?

Once they've opened up their own dojo/school?

Let the discussion begin.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I agree it depends on the student... I'm hoping to be under my master's wing well into 5th dan.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

It depends on opportunities, as well. I could probably have a branch school under my instructor's, if I wanted one, but the issue is I would have to drive at least 40 to 45 minutes one way to hold the classes in a different town. I just don't have the resources or desire to do this, with work and family and all that going on.

During my ATA days, when I ran my own school, I was on my own, and had to train on my own for the most part. Now, that I get to do the training, I think its much better for me, as I always enjoy learning, and I do better when I have someone else pushing me and a class to compete with.

I agree, it depends on the student, the situation, and what one means by being let out of from under an instructors wing.

I was a brown belt when I went to college and joined a club there to cross train. I ended up coaching there and competing out of another club while still training with my original instructor. I also started seriously studying a second art while I was around 1st kyu during this time.

So was I out from under my instructor's wing? Kind of, I guess, kind of like college as a whole I guess.

I'm not entirely sure I'm full on out from under his wing to this day. Everything I do in a martial sense is somehow influenced by what I learned from him.

• 4 months later...

This is my opinion - on this subject. I teach Kung Fu - no belts. The style that I Teach is very hands on - 10 years is the goal - 2 of my Senior Students have learned my curriculum - They know all the Forms - empty hands and weapons - The training methods - the medicine ( herbs, message, etc). But what i can't teach them is my internalization of the system - my experience. IMO for them to grow/take it to the next level - they had to be on their own - They had to teach their own students - and this they did. We still keep in touch (friendship) - And every so often we check up on each other's progress - The advancement they have made would not have been possible if they still were with me. For me it's the 10 year rule - however everyone is different for some it may take a little longer. But there comes a time when the birds must fly the coup.

I like lowereastside's answer.

IMHO I would say it depends on the student but also more about time than about grade.

What does letting go mean exactly?

I think I'll always go to my instructor for guidance even when I'm not seeing him day-to-day.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

When it feels right. This could be for either the student or instructor. Also, there are different reasons to move on, from training options, personal, ethical, moral, professional {outside the dojo}, professional {within the dojo} or any of number of reasons.

I like lowereastside's answer.

IMHO I would say it depends on the student but also more about time than about grade.

What does letting go mean exactly?

I think I'll always go to my instructor for guidance even when I'm not seeing him day-to-day.

Letting go here means about the same thing as when a parent(s) lets their child/children go; leaving the house on their own.

Life must be experienced because life is an experience.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!