• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

To get more Karatekas into MMA

One thing's for certain. They Karateka would have to abandon spending time on a LOT of the techniques that the system was designed for- like lethal techniques- and spend more time on those techniques that fall within the rule set of MMA.

GSP and Anderson Silva both have backgrounds in Kyokoshin and BJJ. Machida has an extensive background in Shotokan, Judo, BJJ, and Sumo. So they have all of the bases covered- strong base in stand up techniques and ground fighting. I think Machida's style shows more of his Karate skills than the other 2 because he is excellent at using the angles and movements that Karate teaches. GSP relies more on his athleticism to strike effectively to set up takedowns, where he has excellent wrestling. AS has ridiculous reflexes, and his striking is his bread and butter. However, he does have problems with strong wrestlers, i.e. Chael Sonnen and Chris Weidman.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing's for certain. They Karateka would have to abandon spending time on a LOT of the techniques that the system was designed for- like lethal techniques- and spend more time on those techniques that fall within the rule set of MMA.

GSP and Anderson Silva both have backgrounds in Kyokoshin and BJJ. Machida has an extensive background in Shotokan, Judo, BJJ, and Sumo. So they have all of the bases covered- strong base in stand up techniques and ground fighting. I think Machida's style shows more of his Karate skills than the other 2 because he is excellent at using the angles and movements that Karate teaches. GSP relies more on his athleticism to strike effectively to set up takedowns, where he has excellent wrestling. AS has ridiculous reflexes, and his striking is his bread and butter. However, he does have problems with strong wrestlers, i.e. Chael Sonnen and Chris Weidman.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!