• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Board Breaking is about Technique, not the Board

Well in my style, we don't do board breaking. Not for test. Not ever. The only time we ever did it was as a special seminar.

I personally think it's unnecessary, because as the cliché saying goes - Board don't hit back.

You are right, boards don't hit back. But a makiwara doesn't either, but their usage is hardly ever discounted as a verifiable beneficial MA experience. Or the wooden dummy of Kung Fu.

I don't hold it against any style that doesn't break boards, and I do think the choice has a lot to do with the philosophy of the style or instructor. A lot of styles don't incorporate board breaking, like MMA, Boxing, and like your style, and that doesn't mean that the practitioners thereof can't demonstrate the power of their techniques. They most certainly can. But, I do think board breaking is a good way to demonstrate power, focus, and technique, and is great for higher rank requirements in showing the development of power in techniques.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wasnt trying to be rude if thats what you meant,i was just curious really

i was just curious,since it isnt a usual thing around here,and the whole deal,with kids having a bb is a touchy subject,but i am not trying to change the topic of the thread

thanks for the answer,cheers

My instructor had me set on a testing panel just last week, and we had a few brown belts and a black belt kid testing, all of whom had to break boards for their testing requirements. They did a good job, and our black belt girl even broke two of the kids boards on her side kicks.

But, as the instructor had the holders set up for 2 boards on the breaks, I saw the girls eyes kind of widen, and it got me to thinking about the board breaking in general, as it tends to be one of the areas of testings that is of the most concern to many students. I watch the students do their forms, one-steps, and sparring during the testing, and see consistency in their techniques for the most part, as far as power, speed, and focus goes. But when its time to line up for board breaks, everything changes for them. They spend anywhere from 5 to 10 reps lining up a side kick, and then when they go to kick it, they fidget and change things, either trying to kick harder than usual to get the break, or stop the technique upon reaching the board, before going through it. So seeing all this, I decided to use the opportunity afforded me at the end of testing to address the students:

"Board breaking isn't about the boards. Its about the technique." I went on to elaborate that just because a board goes up in front of you that you don't need to do anything differently. Just do the same kick you always do. If you work and focus on your techniques like you are supposed to all throughout the basics, forms, and one-steps portions of the class, then when it comes time to do a break, you should be golden. I also told them that is why we as instructors constantly hound them on technique during basics and forms; don't shrimp on it, because if you do, it will show up sooner or later.

Now, when I discuss breaking, its in the scope of our testing requirements, which is rarely more than two boards at a time, except for at 3rd dan levels, where one has to be a power break of 3. So, I'm not talking in regards to the kind of extreme breaking seen in contests and the like. But, even in those situations, it all starts with proper technique, then the toughening, callousing, and extra power need all fall in place after that.

I'd love to hear the thoughts, experiences, and teaching ideas behind everyone else on board, as well! :karate:

I'm not sure if you did or not, but I would have put in somewhere that the power comes with the technique and adding the power is a part of the technique.

My first instructors in Kuk Sool Won saw technique and power as two separate things. I got chastised on more than one occasion for hitting a bag too hard because they wanted me to work on technique. I never quite got the hang of it but they told me once I was getting closer. By the time that happened, (example, swing kick) I had either a really fast kick that could graze or a slow kick that could knock the wavemaster over.

Early on when I moved to Karate, we were doing speed drills for kicks. My instructor stopped me and said, "That's a good kick." Then he asked, "Could you break a board with it?" Then he showed me the proper way. It ended up being exactly what I was doing two years earlier at Kuk Sool Won and got penalized for.

I believe that if technique and power are treated as two separate entities than will always develop one before the other and take at least twice as long to combine them. I also believe that while teaching, we should encourage the students to hit harder while maintaining form. Then add the speed to make it complete. That is how I believe the same reverse punch done in forms can be put through a brick.

Well in my style, we don't do board breaking. Not for test. Not ever. The only time we ever did it was as a special seminar.

I personally think it's unnecessary, because as the cliché saying goes - Board don't hit back.

This, I disagree with.

Boards are a good way to measure how well someone at a lower level is combining the different elements of a basic strike to make sure it is powerful. As the student progresses, so should the difficulty. Not in the number of boards, but the toughness of targets. Sparring is for practicing against things that hit back.

The board does, in fact, hit back. The recoil of kinetic energy can be used to toughen the striking zones. Then our hands can be likened to hitting something with a wooden sword as opposed to hitting something with a steel rod. No added force is necessary, the tougher material alone amplifies the damage. Then, when a target breaks, repeat the process on a harder target.

Perhaps I misunderstood you. But I'm also not sure how you can say your style doesn't employ this process. Your profile says Shaolin. I see people of Shaolin practicing Dim Mak, Iron Shirt and even power breaking on a regular basis.

My instructor had me set on a testing panel just last week, and we had a few brown belts and a black belt kid testing, all of whom had to break boards for their testing requirements. They did a good job, and our black belt girl even broke two of the kids boards on her side kicks.

But, as the instructor had the holders set up for 2 boards on the breaks, I saw the girls eyes kind of widen, and it got me to thinking about the board breaking in general, as it tends to be one of the areas of testings that is of the most concern to many students. I watch the students do their forms, one-steps, and sparring during the testing, and see consistency in their techniques for the most part, as far as power, speed, and focus goes. But when its time to line up for board breaks, everything changes for them. They spend anywhere from 5 to 10 reps lining up a side kick, and then when they go to kick it, they fidget and change things, either trying to kick harder than usual to get the break, or stop the technique upon reaching the board, before going through it. So seeing all this, I decided to use the opportunity afforded me at the end of testing to address the students:

"Board breaking isn't about the boards. Its about the technique." I went on to elaborate that just because a board goes up in front of you that you don't need to do anything differently. Just do the same kick you always do. If you work and focus on your techniques like you are supposed to all throughout the basics, forms, and one-steps portions of the class, then when it comes time to do a break, you should be golden. I also told them that is why we as instructors constantly hound them on technique during basics and forms; don't shrimp on it, because if you do, it will show up sooner or later.

Now, when I discuss breaking, its in the scope of our testing requirements, which is rarely more than two boards at a time, except for at 3rd dan levels, where one has to be a power break of 3. So, I'm not talking in regards to the kind of extreme breaking seen in contests and the like. But, even in those situations, it all starts with proper technique, then the toughening, callousing, and extra power need all fall in place after that.

I'd love to hear the thoughts, experiences, and teaching ideas behind everyone else on board, as well! :karate:

Great post.

I am a big fan of breaking. Every striking technique you do (hand or foot) should be able to break at least one 3/4" pine board. Even some of your blocks should be able to do it. Like you said, it's not about the fact that you now have a board in front of you, it's about proving you understand every component of the technique and can execute it so. Pad work and kicking each other only gets you so far IMO. Boards show that every part of your technique is correct and that you're conditioned for the technique and that you're accurate. There's no way it will break if you don't have all of those factors.

I can understand where the girl got a bit scared though :lol: It does freak me out sometimes when my instructor puts more boards up or uses a harder re-breakable board. I always do better when I don't know how much I'm trying to break because I don't try to force the extra effort in and make my technique go all funny. I actually find that if you put something in front of the board to trick yourself into thinking it's nothing it usually works and that's what I do when teaching breaking. Bit difficult with re-breakable boards because you need to see the line to be able to hit it, but you can line a child's or really weak board in front so that's what the breaker sees. Or if it's wood, I sometimes hang a cloth over the front or put a teardrop pad in front. Or even just making the student go and put some trainers on or a sparring pad. I find it helps psychologically :).

One of the other things I do with kids / more timid adults, is to get some paper and have them "break" that. If you don't have that piercing action the paper won't be torn in two but also it's not going to hurt you. Then you can progress and gradually increase the grade and then move onto child boards then adult boards.

One thing I'm not so much of a fan of is the multiple measuring for the technique. We've always done it: one measure, one break. You measure to get your distance then compose yourself and break. You have one chance to do it. Kinda aspiring to ikken hissatsu. You only need one rep to line the kick or punch up as once you're in the correct position, it's a bit overkill. I think sometimes, when people keep doing the reps, it's because they're afraid and they're trying to convince themselves their technique is good and that they can go through it.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

With respect, I think that's what a lot of people who don't break say as a way to justify them not doing it. Boards most certainly do hit back (impulse) and especially if you don't break, all that power goes straight back up your arm.

You could say (like bushido_man96 said), makiwara don't hit back. Thin air doesn't hit back (forms practice). Pads don't hit back. You can't train full power on your classmates all the time and even then you aren't looking to actually break their bones or cause internal damage.

Boards do serve a purpose in that they will show you if you don't understand the technique, know how to generate speed and use mass, that you haven't conditioned properly, that you don't understand distancing and that you can't overcome the psychological barrier of "Oh #!@"£$, that's a solid bit of wood there, hope it doesn't hurt me!".

I'm not sure if you did or not, but I would have put in somewhere that the power comes with the technique and adding the power is a part of the technique.

My first instructors in Kuk Sool Won saw technique and power as two separate things. I got chastised on more than one occasion for hitting a bag too hard because they wanted me to work on technique. I never quite got the hang of it but they told me once I was getting closer. By the time that happened, (example, swing kick) I had either a really fast kick that could graze or a slow kick that could knock the wavemaster over.

Early on when I moved to Karate, we were doing speed drills for kicks. My instructor stopped me and said, "That's a good kick." Then he asked, "Could you break a board with it?" Then he showed me the proper way. It ended up being exactly what I was doing two years earlier at Kuk Sool Won and got penalized for.

I believe that if technique and power are treated as two separate entities than will always develop one before the other and take at least twice as long to combine them. I also believe that while teaching, we should encourage the students to hit harder while maintaining form. Then add the speed to make it complete. That is how I believe the same reverse punch done in forms can be put through a brick.

Not that I don't agree with you, but sometimes it is worth reigning in the power a bit in order to practice the technique (as in the action itself) alone. Starting slower with correct form is more beneficial in the long run than a mediocre technique that you do quickly and with throwing all your mass into it. In the long run, you can start adding in the speed and everything else and it'll be easier to utilise your mass.

I see what you're saying, DWx. That's how I first teach a technique. For example, say I'm teaching a reverse roundhouse kick. The student must first be able to chamber, pivot his planted heel towards me, throw back his shoulders just right, line up his hips, extend his leg, point his toes, chamber back, pivot back and finally set back into a fighting stance. He must do this all perfectly while maintaining balance at super slow motion and hold the extension for at least ten seconds. Once he can do that consistently, then I tell him to add the strength and speed. As soon as he can do that, then he should be able to break stuff with that kick.

What I'm taking way too long to say is I love learning technique at a slow pace and it has its place. But I never use even in the same zip-code of thought as breaking. Odds are, if I'm telling a student to get his form perfect and execute a technique at a snail's pace, then he's at a month away from hitting anything with that technique.

We breaks board on each belt exam...from 1 to 3 boards depending.

We use 1 inch thick pine board.

Board don't hit back...lol true

The most frequent reason on the used of board breaking is mostly mental.

Fight your fear.... If you're scared and stop..OUCH!!! cause we all know that it's not that hard to break. It's all in the mind and to hit the center of it lol.

As per technical view of it.... They say that 1 inch thick board equal to a human rib... Some use this as a goal or point of view.

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

Oh I don't want you to think I discount it, I totally see the mentality/philosophy of doing it. For me though, I don't really see the need. I have done board breaking and yes, the first time there was a bit of "oh boy, I wonder if I can do it!"

Again, I've done it, and I do think it's fun, but I don't think my style needs it as part of the curriculum.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Darksoul, I agree, our style sounds as if it has a similar attitude to yours when it comes to breaking boards. I see the logic of it too, but the need in modern training - not so much.

Look to the far mountain and see all.