• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Board Breaking is about Technique, not the Board

My instructor had me set on a testing panel just last week, and we had a few brown belts and a black belt kid testing, all of whom had to break boards for their testing requirements. They did a good job, and our black belt girl even broke two of the kids boards on her side kicks.

But, as the instructor had the holders set up for 2 boards on the breaks, I saw the girls eyes kind of widen, and it got me to thinking about the board breaking in general, as it tends to be one of the areas of testings that is of the most concern to many students. I watch the students do their forms, one-steps, and sparring during the testing, and see consistency in their techniques for the most part, as far as power, speed, and focus goes. But when its time to line up for board breaks, everything changes for them. They spend anywhere from 5 to 10 reps lining up a side kick, and then when they go to kick it, they fidget and change things, either trying to kick harder than usual to get the break, or stop the technique upon reaching the board, before going through it. So seeing all this, I decided to use the opportunity afforded me at the end of testing to address the students:

"Board breaking isn't about the boards. Its about the technique." I went on to elaborate that just because a board goes up in front of you that you don't need to do anything differently. Just do the same kick you always do. If you work and focus on your techniques like you are supposed to all throughout the basics, forms, and one-steps portions of the class, then when it comes time to do a break, you should be golden. I also told them that is why we as instructors constantly hound them on technique during basics and forms; don't shrimp on it, because if you do, it will show up sooner or later.

Now, when I discuss breaking, its in the scope of our testing requirements, which is rarely more than two boards at a time, except for at 3rd dan levels, where one has to be a power break of 3. So, I'm not talking in regards to the kind of extreme breaking seen in contests and the like. But, even in those situations, it all starts with proper technique, then the toughening, callousing, and extra power need all fall in place after that.

I'd love to hear the thoughts, experiences, and teaching ideas behind everyone else on board, as well! :karate:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I don't have much experience of breaking boards. It's not a trait of Okinawan Karate, as taught today. I can appreciate it, it takes skill and technique when done in truth. We strike sheilds and pads mostly. I did witness the edging stone world braking attempt a few years ago, very impressive, the best breaker was a Tai Chi expert.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Our experience in board breaking isn't to the extreme. The idea behind the breaking requirements for testings is to demonstrate power and technique, and not necessarily to see who can chop the most firewood. :) Our view on breaking is that its a display of the power of a technique. Its not necessarily the best way to do it, but between the display of basics, forms, one-steps, sparring, and breaking, it provides a good cross-section, in my opinion.

I'll bet it was fun watching that world record attempt. Those guys are definitely talented!

The most imressive thing was the sound of the stones when they were broken, a "Chudd" sound. I think they can tell the quality of the strike by the sound it makes. It was a good day.

Well in my style, we don't do board breaking. Not for test. Not ever. The only time we ever did it was as a special seminar.

I personally think it's unnecessary, because as the cliché saying goes - Board don't hit back.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

whats a kids black belt testing?

i never understood that,what do you do when they are older,do they just keep the black belt,and go for 2 dan,3 dan e.t.c,or move to the same ranks of adults?

i know this has nothing to do with the thread,but i never really understood that,it is pretty rare here to give 1dan to kids,and i am curious

i think in my style,whe only get to break boards on the higher ranks,has a demostration

thanks

Well in my style, we don't do board breaking. Not for test. Not ever. The only time we ever did it was as a special seminar.

I personally think it's unnecessary, because as the cliché saying goes - Board don't hit back.

some of the videos,of karatecas breaking layers of ice with their elbows,is a pretty amazing feat trough

i saw a video,i think of mas oyama,breaking a huge layer of ice,it was amazing for shure

i never understood,how he did choop the tip of the beer bootle trough,it seemed like a knife cutting butter

Teenagers can have 1st Dans in our style; but their test for 2nd Dan will take into account their age and the whole of the syllabus. I suppose they could acheive it in theory, but our Sensei are very keen that they earn it when they are ready.

Some styles have board breaking as part of their gradings; we do not.

whats a kids black belt testing?

i never understood that,what do you do when they are older,do they just keep the black belt,and go for 2 dan,3 dan e.t.c,or move to the same ranks of adults?

It wasn't a "kids black belt testing;" we had a testing, and one of our kids was testing for black belt. She had to demonstrate all the forms for each belt level up to hers, all one-step requirements, sparring, plus her black belt form and basics, and board breaks. The same requirements for our adults that test for black belt. The only difference is her age. I apologize if I was confusing in my initial post on that matter.

i know this has nothing to do with the thread,but i never really understood that,it is pretty rare here to give 1dan to kids,and i am curious

We don't have different standards for kids or adults in our style. All requirements are the same, kid or adult, for each of the ranks. So, I don't see anything wrong with an 11 year old testing for her black belt. She has been with our school since she was 5 or 6 I think. She did a great job at the testing, her technique looked great, and the only thing I could think to coax out of her would have been just a bit more power and speed.

Aside from that, the point I was trying to make was in regards to board breaking, and teaching students how to become more comfortable with board breaking. I save the "black belt kids" subject for a different thread. :)