• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Honorary Black belt?

I was on Martial Talk yesterday and I seen a thread entitled the same as my own, That person was asking for wording on a certificate to give an honorary black belt, to the mayor, governor and some other people...I forget the full story, but this got me thinking back when Obama got his Honorary black belt in Tae Kwon Do from the Kukkiwon just because he had a bit of prior experience (green belt I believe). I thought that, that was wrong for the kukkiwon to give out a black belt just because of someone's stature.

In my opinion I believe a certificate of appreciation is just as well if you're trying to award someone's help. I personally don't think a Honorary Black Belt exists...

Do any of you?

There has probably been a discussion on this before, but I haven't been able to find it and I figured maybe an updated topic would be nice to see if anyone's views have changed.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

I find myself dabbling into a lot of different martial arts styles, some I've been awarded rank in, but I don't feel as if I deserve them.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

This is something the ATA has done in the past for folks like Bill Clinton (who being in office in Arkansas, and that being the HQ location of the ATA had some affect), Jaleel White (Erckel), Penny Hardaway (former NBA player), etc.

The idea behind the honorary black belt was that it showed that the person awarded such was recognized as the "black belt equivalent" in their chosen profession. Perhaps the person showed or provided something else to the organization rewarding it, as well, and was done as a show of thanks.

I don't think its a bad thing. Cooperation and publicity can be good things for a style that may be reaching out to kids, and bringing in celebrities the kids recognize brings in another form of attachment for what they are doing. It can be the same for adults, too. It just has to all be kept in context. They aren't earning an actual black belt. Could they do some other certificate of acknowledgement or something? Probably. Either way, who and what does it really hurt?

I always remember a TV celeb called Carlol Vorderman gaining a 3rd class bachelor's degree, then after a popular following being presented with an Honory Phd at a top University! So what is it really worth? Good PR at best!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

A cause is what we all fight for, a worthy one is worth the effort. A popular figure can give an edge to publisize and make people take notice; so yes it is worth it.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Remember, it's a Honorary Black Belt not a 'real' Black Belt. Universities all over the world give out Honorary PHD's. It's great PR for all involved. I sit on the wings of a university and talk with the people that decide who gets an honorary PHD. One thing I would advise any organization thinking about handing out Honorary Black Belts would be to write up a set of guide lines on who, when, why they are getting such an award. This can help quiet the voices on the outside.

Good view points from all. But, if you were the head of a school/owner would you consider giving them out? And if so, why? Or for what Causes?

Other then being beneficial for publicity I don't really see a real need to make one, I could just as easily give out appreciation certs. they do provide a nice novelty (honorary black belts).

And would you just stop with a certificate saying honorary black belt, or do you go ahead and hand them a black belt too?

I find myself dabbling into a lot of different martial arts styles, some I've been awarded rank in, but I don't feel as if I deserve them.

Honorary titles have been used for year, whether it is a degree, doctorate or black belt. It doesn't mean anything at all to anyone other than it being that that person is being honoured by the organisation.

After all, they are not being awarded Shodan, just an honorary black belt. It does no harm to MA imo!

Good view points from all. But, if you were the head of a school/owner would you consider giving them out? And if so, why? Or for what Causes?

Other then being beneficial for publicity I don't really see a real need to make one, I could just as easily give out appreciation certs. they do provide a nice novelty (honorary black belts).

And would you just stop with a certificate saying honorary black belt, or do you go ahead and hand them a black belt too?

If it were me, I don't think I would, but not because I really have anything against the idea. I just don't think I would do it.

Good Thread

I think Sean Connery has an Honoury Black Belt in Kyokushin presented by Oyama Sosai due to the Filing of some of the scenes to 007 "You Only Live Twice" filmed with karateka from Kyokushin. not seen the movie but I'm sure others will be able to elaborate on the scenes

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)