• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How do I learn how to do an ushiro mawashi tobi geri?

RW

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It looks a lot like an armada from capoeira. The biggest difference is he is jumping. The momentum comes from the step and the body twist. The leg just kinda follows along.

An armada:

I've never seen that kick in karate before though.

Common in kyokushin for those with the dedication to learn it. Was a big KOer in tournaments through the 1990's.

I would break it down into steps:

-Get a high ushiro mawashi, with great balance and minimal lean on your upper-torso.

-once you have a solid basic kick, then look at putting a little "hop" into it at the beginning.

-as your body gets more and more familiar with the above, increase the "hop" until you have a full jump for the 180-360 degrees.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

First, make sure you can do a hook kick (ushiro mawashi) without any spinning and not be off balance.

Then, try adding the spin and not being off balance. You should feel like the spin is being generated from your hips, not you leg. As you come through on the kick, your leg should not feel like it's pulling on you.

Meanwhile, Just work on jumping and spinning. Your goal should be to learn to jump a full 360 degrees and and land solid...no stumbling or falling.

Once you have a good spinning hook AND you can do a 360 degree spin. The rest is just putting them together.

I think you'll find it's really not that difficult.

I would also recommend you learn to tuck the trailing leg also. He's just letting it hang down. Not my favorite way of seeing it.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Looks very similar to a TKD 360 hook kick and the variants which are also seen a lot in tricking. You might have better luck looking for that on YouTube.

However in line with what everyone else has said, nail the standing version first before trying to get the jump. Interesting to see you guys do it with a double leg take-off whereas in TKD it's more common to cycle the legs through the air to get the rotation. Anyway, as you are doing the double legged take-off, work on lots of plyometric leg exercises to get a good jump. Things like tuck jumps, squats, squat jumps, leaps etc. Then work on the 360 spin portion making sure that it's the hips which are doing the spinning and that the torso remains upright throughout. After that you can practice doing a half kick where you come round with the kicking knee up but not extended then onto the full kick.

In the video you linked to, makes me uncomfortable to see the kick executed that close to the target. Maybe a shoulder width further back and with better extension of the hips to just lengthen the kick out a bit. But perhaps that's a stylistic thing

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Good advise from everyone. I was told once that any kick you want to do jumping, you have to do it on the ground, first. That way, you study the foot work in the set up, and add the jump in when you get it down.