• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

would you use any of this tehcniques in real scenarios

To be truthfull, we don't train for a head height kick, though it is part of our Kihon for higher grades. Only rarely does it appear in our Kata, there is a jumping reverse cresent kick in Sepai Kata for example. I admire the styles that have these kicks as their focus, but I have only trained in them regularly in my youth.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our style, Shito Ryu, is based on traditional Okinawan Karate. Head height kicks are not a focus of the Karate. Our Sensei trains us in kata and very few of these have head height kicks. It's simply not a feature of our tradition.

I don't think there is anything wrong with not focusing on head kicks in a style. They aren't for everyone, and not everyone likes to do them. But, that shouldn't lend itself to a philosophy that higher kicks lose power over lower kicks, especially when its more a matter of personal preference than proven fact. That's all I was really getting at.

I've broken 2 inch cap blocks with side kick at just over mid-chest high. I am not a big guy, so I blame technique. I've thrown so many of those kicks that I can't even begin to put a number on it. I know what happens when it lands, when it gets blocked or jammed and how much space and time I need to vet the kick off. It all falls back to training. A little won't do.

Nice. Side kick is tougher for me, so I don't do a lot of breaking with it. If I do, I keep it at about gut level. I can do it higher, to the head, but never have attempted a break at that level, let alone cap blocks.

Its also great that you've practiced the kick so much that you can see what will play out when you execute it. I can kind of do that with my round kicks. And you're right, a little won't do. Lots of good practice.

Imho...

While your style may or may not have high kicks, one should do whatever works for "you" no matter the census might be on the subject.

My style is Okinawan, and our kicks are waist down, in that, I'm well versed in high kicks, part because of my very limited TKD background. Yet, over the many years, I've developed my high kicks as part of my arsenal because I can and that's also because I've been trained to do them, and do them effectively.

Having said that, in discovering that my opponent is a high kicker, I'll stay very close and personal, albeit, I'll jam him/her constantly, and in that, I'll throw a high kick whenever it suits ME pertaining to the parameters before me.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Just came in to link another of my favorite articles written by 'cymry' regarding kicks in self defence situations.

https://www.karateforums.com/low-kicking-below-the-belt-vt11102.html

Awesome read.

Its a good article, and written by a very knowledgeable Karateka, but I don't think it totally discounts the ability to use high kicks.

Just came in to link another of my favorite articles written by 'cymry' regarding kicks in self defence situations.

https://www.karateforums.com/low-kicking-below-the-belt-vt11102.html

Awesome read.

Its a good article, and written by a very knowledgeable Karateka, but I don't think it totally discounts the ability to use high kicks.

I concur!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Low kicks are always useful. I personally use side kicks to make some room, cuz they are more powerfull than front kick for example. About head kick, well only if you are sure it would connect, or if you have a good follow up technic in case you miss.

A style is just a name.