• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

would you use any of this tehcniques in real scenarios

You spend money to learn a skill. While continuing learning the skill that you spent money to learn and are continuing to spend money to learn, you tell someone that the skill is useless - because in the situation the skill is directly relevant for, you believe it would be more effective to use an untrained and unskilled response.

This seems foolish on multiple levels.

The whole point of training is to build skill with techniques for later use. If you feel the techniques aren't useful full stop - either the teacher doesn't understand the application, or the techniques are not effective for you because of a difference in your threat profile - then why on earth are you taking the class??? If they can't teach you anything you want to learn, you need to find someone who can.

And if you know so much more about how combat works than the person teaching the class then why aren't you the one teaching the class? Clearly you must have a background in combat and the like to be qualified to make an assertion like that.

Particularly since this starting question implies that you will have time to stop and make tactical decisions about how to handicap your techniques list in the middle of a violent situation. Most likely your brain is going to freeze up like a computer that was just commanded to do a huge download and run a huge file on dialup and not enough memory.

Combat is a very chaotic, fast-moving situation that will bury your brain in information overload. Unless you deal with combat situations regularly, you will not have developed any filters to manage and interpret what's going on. You should be thankful if you have enough processor time to remember to put your guard up when attacked and use any techniques that turn things in your favor at all, and those techniques are most likely going to come from 'things you've practiced', not 'things i'm chatting and armchair quarterbacking about'.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when did i say that those tehcniques are useless or are junk?,and when did i also say that i knew more then my sensei?

all i was asking was for some opinions,i never said they dont work,it just seems to me,that even too,you will obviously just do what you have practised in a real fight(like you said),head kicks,can put you in a bad situation if you dont do them right,and since there are saffer tehcniques out there,it just made me question and look for some views on its use

thats why i am asking opinions,on its use in real scenarios,thats all

you are making me sound like i am talking trash about head kicks,that isnt true,they have their place i understand that,i am just wondering their use in self defense scnearios,this and other tipe of strikes,thats why i am looking for opinions here,thats it

anyway cheers

Well.. Do you train many high kicks in your art? Because if you dont then your art's founders seem to be dubious too.

i cant give the case, my art focuses on mid kicks, not high.

yeah,whe already trained it a few times in class,its goju ryu/shito ryu karate,whe trained high round kicks a few times in drills,he gived me some good pointers,i could see myself perhaps throwing one in a real scenario,but only with at least a couple more years of training for shure :)

Thinking of a specific technique in a real situation is tough, you just don't have the time. Instinct, muscle memory and reflex will execute the right strike or hold and then it's over. Having the poise to throw a head height kick in a real fight takes a fair deal of thinking. I would find it difficult to imagine firing one as a quick reaction strike. You need the room for a start and a safe place to throw it; in a crowd, pulling back to throw a head kick would be dangerous. My last self defense scenario was on a speeding bus, seated, no room, no balance. You can never plan for a real situation, but your safety will run true to your training and attitude. Osu!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Thinking of a specific technique in a real situation is tough, you just don't have the time. Instinct, muscle memory and reflex will execute the right strike or hold and then it's over. Having the poise to throw a head height kick in a real fight takes a fair deal of thinking. I would find it difficult to imagine firing one as a quick reaction strike. You need the room for a start and a safe place to throw it; in a crowd, pulling back to throw a head kick would be dangerous. My last self defense scenario was on a speeding bus, seated, no room, no balance. You can never plan for a real situation, but your safety will run true to your training and attitude. Osu!

yeah,thats how i think has well

explain your last self defense scenario,did he atack you first?

were you able to defend yourself, what tehcniques did you use, and did he ever get the chance to hit you?

thanks,cheers

I didn't even hit him! I clenched my fist to my chest and was about to get up off my chair and he backed down, I think the look in my eyes was enough. I think he had seen someone chamber their fist in that style before and didn't fancy his chances, so I was lucky.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

Well.. Do you train many high kicks in your art?
yeah,whe already trained it a few times in class

"A few times" isn't "many". By "many" i'm thinking "Oh yeah, a couple hundred every class". So you'll probably not use one unless a perfect freak opening happens anyways.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia