• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Final Kyu grading approaches!

Well, I'm on the final week before my final Kyu grading! Been through the syllabus a number of times and have trained hard. The only question now is, do I ease off for the week so as not to injur myself before the grading or do I go all out and train like a madman. This grading is a marathon of a sesh!

Good luck.

Try to go first. Unless one really screws up, the first ones are generally graded easier. Since they set the standard, they usually get the medium grade which is the passing grade.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm on the final week before my final Kyu grading! Been through the syllabus a number of times and have trained hard. The only question now is, do I ease off for the week so as not to injur myself before the grading or do I go all out and train like a madman. This grading is a marathon of a sesh!

Good luck.

Try to go first. Unless one really screws up, the first ones are generally graded easier. Since they set the standard, they usually get the medium grade which is the passing grade.

Only me grading at 1st Kyu :(

Good luck.

Only me grading at 1st Kyu :(

Don't sweat it! Rock it!

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

If it's a long exhausting test with only you, I suggest you continue to do aerobic conditioning so you can go the distance. If you are already in good condition, you shouldn't have to do much, just enough to keep your endurance level where it is. If not, do as much as you can reasonably fit into your schedule. This can be at least as important as drilling the movements. No risk of injury there so not much downside unless you don't have the time.

When I took my Shodan test, I was the only one testing and even though I ran for 30-45 minutes twice a week up to the test date, it was still exhausting and I wished I found time to do more. Of course, most high kyu and dan tests are designed to push you so maybe I would have felt drained regardless. Still, I would have felt better if I did a little more.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

Well, I decided to train 3 times this week and on Weds my sciatic nerve started playing up :(

I went last nite after taking 600mg Ibubrofen and took it easy and it seemed to be better although I am suffering today. Tomorrow (grading day) I'm gonna drug myself up and push through it and then take a couple of weeks off to recover. Fortunately my Sensei has said that I can teach for a couple of weeks to recover as I will still have to actually go because I take my daughter and two kids from next door. Better that just sitting there!

I passed!

It was hard going and I nearly gave up because of the sciatic pain but I pushed through. Made a few mistakes but I put that down to worrying too much about my back pain and not focusing on the task in hand from time to time. The mistakes were very silly ones!

Now I'm suffering so a couple of weeks of taking it easy I think!

The most tiring part of my last grading was the pad work, I lost count of how many times I kicked and punched the shield. I had to go out of the hall to cool down in the fresh air. I suppose examiners want to know how much you want it. Well done! I hope you can recover and get ready for your next text, wearing your belt with pride and getting ready for your next grade. Osu!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I passed!

It was hard going and I nearly gave up because of the sciatic pain but I pushed through. Made a few mistakes but I put that down to worrying too much about my back pain and not focusing on the task in hand from time to time. The mistakes were very silly ones!

Well done ! so are you a first kyu now ? if so then your next journey begins now to go for shodan ,for me it was a sweet but hard journey and a bit painful at times but it was worth all the effort .

never give up !

I passed!

Well done ! so are you a first kyu now ? if so then your next journey begins now to go for shodan ,for me it was a sweet but hard journey and a bit painful at times but it was worth all the effort .

Yep, Shodan/1st Dan within the next 6 months! :o