• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How far down the line are you from your grandmaster?

vantheman

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sosai Mas Oyama trained Shihan Shigeru Oyama, who trained my instructor John Farrell. John Farrell later went to Japan and studied under Sosai. Kancho Farrell then created his own Kyokushin organization and that is our head instructor who I get to train with. So technically it's Masutatsu Oyama - John Farrell - me. Can't get much better than that in my opinion.

In Shuri-Ryu, we did have someone we called by that title because he founded the style, and I would be three steps from him:

Robert Trias-->Joseph Walker-->Joseph Johnston-->Me

Hey Wastelander,

I will be attending an event in Colorado Springs the second weekend of October, at which Joe Walker will be attending.

Chris

Chris

I'm forth or fifth, depending on how you count Goju Ryu's lineage. Do you start, as most do with Chojun Miyagi or with his teacher, Kanryo Higaonna, as some do ? Anyway -

Myself, taught by Tony Christain : Taught by Teruo Chinen, among others : Ei'ichi Miyazato : Chojun Miyagi : Kanryo Higaonna.

AndyM,

I believe we are Goju cousins.

In addition to my Shoreikan/Toguchi lineage previously posted, I also trained in a Jundokan lineage dojo circa 80-87. So my lineage there is:

Miyagi Chojun-Miyazato Ei'ichi-Mike Mancuso-Gary Lutz/Ed Bach-Me.

Chris

Chris

Sosai Mas Oyama trained Shihan Shigeru Oyama, who trained my instructor John Farrell. John Farrell later went to Japan and studied under Sosai. Kancho Farrell then created his own Kyokushin organization and that is our head instructor who I get to train with. So technically it's Masutatsu Oyama - John Farrell - me. Can't get much better than that in my opinion.

Very nice! :D

My Shihan trained under Sosai when he came and visited, especially in the early years, and he learned a lot from him. Shihan of course thinks very well of Sosai. I asked, "did you ever get to spar with Sosai?"

"Yes. Yes I did."

"Oooh fun!"

"Not really."

"Well... at least you got to learn a lot from it, right?"

"I learned that he could beat me up."

LOL. Well it's Mas Oyama. Around here, Shihan has a long standing reputation of being an amazing fighter. Even in his 60s, I've seen him pick people apart with complete ease. Exquisite timing, amazing power, lightning-fast speed, and he always knows EXACTLY where the end of his fist is.

But still, against Mas Oyama? He couldn't win.

Could anyone?

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Could anyone?

A bull did. But just once. Sosai then fought 64 of his cousins to show the bull he got lucky.

Haha, oh yes, the bull.

I think the number was 52 though. That's what Cameron Quinn's book said anyway, which Sosai signed off on. :o

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Gracie Jiu-Jitsu

Helio Gracie/Rickson Gracie-->Pedro Sauer-->Tony Rinaldi-->Me

Chuan Fa

Unknown-->John Kinn-->Dale McGinnis-->Me

Karate

Unknown-->Rho Byung Jik--->George Anderson-->Bob Magnusun--> Me

Aiki JuJitsu

Unknown--->George Anderson-->Bob Magnusun--> Me

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."