• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How far down the line are you from your grandmaster?

vantheman

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Fourth Generation.

Mr. Kimura was the first Generation

Then Shihan Bressaw

We still don't know who will succeed Shihan Bressaw

And then me.

"There are two rules for being successful in Martial Arts.

Rule 1: Never tell others everything you know."

Question - is the person above you the one that you train with regularly, or the one that gives does the examination and officially promotes you?

Before Dai-Soke passed away...I was trained by him...for over 40 years!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 month later...

I might be close.

Grandmaster Ohtsuka Hironori - Sensei Shiomitsu Masafumi - Me.

Our current grandmaster is Ohtsuka-Sensei's son, (Jiro) Ohtsuka II. I have trained with him several times.

Shiomitsu-Sensei is the Sensei who is in charge for my style Wado in Europe. I train with him 5-6 times a year, in England, Sweden and Norway. He trained with the first grandmaster for approximately 25 years.

I have a 5th dan in my Dojo, a 3rd dan, and myself. We started my club 4 years ago, and are lucky enough to train with high grade senseis regularly.

Karate ni Sente Nashi

• 1 month later...

Good question. My instructor doesn't change a whole lot, but we may be looking into doing some different classes, but we'll see.

As for me, I've got lots of great ideas, if I ever get to do my own thing again.

Old thread, my 2 cents:

A better question would be: "How far are you down the line from a passionate and constantly improving teacher?".

Does the teacher have to be alive? If not, then...Dai-Soke and then myself and then Greg. If the teacher has to be alive...then...without it sounding like self-aggrandizement...myself and then Greg!!

:)

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!

When I initially started, I would be considered '3rd generation' as my lineage was:

Osensei Shoshin Nagamine > Soke Takayoshi Nagamine > Instructor in-country > me

Since I moved away from my hometown and opened my dojo, I have regularly (in addition to practicing under my sensei in-country) traveled to Okinawa to train under Sensei Takayoshi Nagamine, which I guess would change me to '2nd generation' as well.

Sensei Takayoshi Nagamine sadly passed away in 2011, and now we train with a different Okinawan instructor who was also taught by Osensei Shoshin Nagamine.

Edited by RJCKarate

Reece Cummings

Kodokan Cummings Karate Dojo

5th Dan, Matsubayashiryu (Shorinryu) Karatedo Kobujutsu

1st Dan, Yamaneryu Kobudo

Nice topic. Thanks for posting.

My Shihan (who trains me directly) was directly trained and awarded his grades by Mas Oyama Sosai.

I guess that makes me 2nd gen?

Ive also trained directly under Hokama Sensei for kobudo, so 1st gen?

My Modern Arnis instructor trained under the Australian rep', who trained under Remy Presas decades ago, so 4th gen?

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

My Wado Sensei was a student of Sakugami Sensei so does that make me 3rd generation

My Ashihara Sensei is 3rd generation, I think, as I've not spoken to him for 8 years. I know he was taught by his Sensei, but I don't know who taught him but I think it was a direct student of Ashihara Kancho. So that makes me 4th generation.

My Tang Soo Do Instructor 3rd generation from Kwang Uk Lee. So that makes me 4th generation.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)