• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How far down the line are you from your grandmaster?

vantheman

Hello everyone,

I have an interesting question for those who it applies to. How many "generations" are you from the Grandmaster(s) of your system?

My instructor and the Masters that make up the Master's club were trained by the 2 Grandmasters of Chinese Kempo Karate, who were taught by Fred Villari the Grandmaster of Shaloin Kempo Karate. My instructor's first group of students now also serve as instructors and assistant instructors, and helped bring me to black belt, so I can so,what faithfully say I am a part of the fourth generation of CKK (the school I train at has only been open around 17 years, so that seems right). How about the rest of you guys? How far do you guys go to trace the masters of your art?

Edited by vantheman

Van

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, it's actually simple.

Chuck Norris founded chun kuk do, Duke tirschel learned tang soo do with chuck Norris in Korea, chcuk Norris gave Duke tirschel his black belt in chun kuk do. Duke tirschel created the afaf system, Rick Burnette learned the art from Mr. Tirschel, then passed that to my instructors and here I am.

So I guess that makes me 5th generation. However I cannot begin to speculate on who chuck Norris masters were, etc..

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

I'm forth or fifth, depending on how you count Goju Ryu's lineage. Do you start, as most do with Chojun Miyagi or with his teacher, Kanryo Higaonna, as some do ? Anyway -

Myself, taught by Tony Christain : Taught by Teruo Chinen, among others : Ei'ichi Miyazato : Chojun Miyagi : Kanryo Higaonna.

If you believe in an ideal. You don't own it ; it owns you.

Miyagi Chojun-Toguchi Seikichi/Kawakami Akira/Sakiyama Sogen- Kow Loon Ong-Me.

Clarification: Kawakami Akira studied with Toguchi Seikichi, Higa Seiko, Yagi Meitoku, Kina Seko and others. Sakiyama Sogen and Toguchi Seikichi studied with Miyagi Sendai.

Edited by Chunmonchek

Chris

It depends who you consider a "grandmaster", really--in Shorin-Ryu we don't actually call anyone in our lineage by that title. If I had to pick, I suppose I would say that it was Chibana Chosin since he officially founded Shorin-Ryu, but he always said that Itosu, his sensei, was the founder of his style, so you could argue that Itosu would be the grandmaster.

Itosu Yasutsune-->Chibana Chosin-->Nakazato Shuguro-->Eddie Bethea-->Richard Poage-->Me

In Shuri-Ryu, we did have someone we called by that title because he founded the style, and I would be three steps from him:

Robert Trias-->Joseph Walker-->Joseph Johnston-->Me

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Sosai Mas Oyama > Don Buck > Gary White > Michael S Dunn II > Me. :} Though I am also trained by Gary White, and he was also trained a bit by Mas Oyama, but really if we're going by absolute primary instructors, the above is my lineage.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

Funakoshi Gichin > Nakayama Masatoshi > Mikami Takayuki > Me

So 3rd generation I guess?

Although now that I've moved away from my home dojo ( ;_; >sniffle<) hopefully one day I can also say that I'm second gen:

Funakoshi Gichin > Teruyuki Okazaki > future me

btw, I feel like we've had this thread before several times.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro