• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Can't train=depression

Well after a spirited grappling session last night, it turns out i jacked my neck up something fierce. Therefore screwing up my training for the rest of the week. I starts second shift at work next week so my training is going to become limited anyway.

Anyone have tips for combating non-training depression??

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know exactly what you're talking about.

This year I've undergone two different surgeries spaced exactly three months apart, which effectively has taken me out of any kind of serious training for half a year. Folks on this site helped me out a lot with advise, so I know you'll get a bunch from others soon. Let me share with you some things that I found worked best for me:

1. Going to the dojo to watch

I would have never thought I could tolerate just sitting there and watching my friends having a good tough class, but believe it or not, I enjoyed it! Nothing's worse for me than being stuck inside with an injury, plus I learned a lot from having time for silent observation. It was also nice if for no other reason than to see my karate family.

2. Rest rest rest

Don't come back before you are healed! I am a walking poster child for this. What should have been a 6-week healing process ended up being 6 months because I went back to training too soon and ripped a big hole in my abdomen right next to my incision site =_= Your training will go much better if you follow the doctor's orders.

3. Baby Steps

Don't be afraid to take it easy for a while when you do come back to training. Right now I am focusing on building up my core strength again, and laying off the high-flexibility snappy techniques. Spending some time with a medicine ball at the gym too. Maybe stretching or yoga might be good for you (?) I'd say ask the doctor as well.

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

I know what you speak of; it sucks! I think the best you can do is try to free yourself up 15 minutes to half an hour to solo train at home. Bag work, shadow boxing, or whatever. Its a bit tougher for grapplers, I think, but a little imagination my help come up with something.

bushidoman makes a great point, the small home gym, even if it's just a hanging heavy bag, can make the difference between an endurable time away from your regular training and a slow decline into insanity and dulled skills.

For the grappling side, consider a dummy. There are plenty of home made plans on line if you don't want to shell out the 600 big ones for a commercial model. I used one of these for a long time with great success when I was tied up with work things.

Not so much these days. Since I've moved gyms to a closer location, I'm able to actually be at the gym more. It makes the need for it considerably less.

If you can make it to the mat 3x/ week or more, I don't think anyone would need one. But if your stuck with only 2 or 1 then I think they are well worth the time of constructing one.

I know that depression you are talking about. It turns out that is actually a withdraw from dopamine released when accomplishing a task or when engaged in some sort of conflict (e.i. hard sparring).

Check out this article, number four was of the greatest interest but you may find the other ones to be of some use if your neck still hasn't recovered.

http://www.cracked.com/article_20035_7-things-you-wont-believe-science-says-make-you-happy.html

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

I now have to lay off training for a couple of weeks for my back to repair itself but while I can't actually train myself, I still have to take my daughter so my Sensei has said if you coming anyway, why not just come along in your Gi and train others until you're better.

I found this to be a really good way to convalesce because you feel like you are training and only putting very limited effort in and therefore slowly exercising the affected area!

OSU

I now have to lay off training for a couple of weeks for my back to repair itself but while I can't actually train myself, I still have to take my daughter so my Sensei has said if you coming anyway, why not just come along in your Gi and train others until you're better.

I found this to be a really good way to convalesce because you feel like you are training and only putting very limited effort in and therefore slowly exercising the affected area!

OSU

I currently have to lay off training because of shoulder surgery. My arm still hurts after a month of recovery, and I don't do much with it at all. So, I've been taking a few days of the week doing some bag work with my left arm, or doing some kicking work from youtube videos. Yesterday I did just some sets of back kicks in the living room between reading chapters of a novel. I think next week, after starting work back up, I'll go to the gym and do some walk/running on the treadmill, or work on the bike. Little things just to keep me moving.

Visualization might be helpful. If you can't train physically, go over your techniques in your mind. Visualize yourself doing them.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█