• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Overweight Karate Instructors

mathemajikian

My instructor was very overweight, yet he still did all the exercises and demonstrations and was an excellent teacher. Herein lies the deal, as Martial Artists we very much stick to certain workouts because they create muscle memory and good technique. You might notice that most dojos have basic exercises done every class. What this creates is a plateau effect, our bodies get used to doing the same exercises so they stop affecting our bodies in the way that they used to. Suddenly bag test burn less calories and work your muscles as hard as they used to. While there is certainly nothing wrong with this, this routine can affect our bodies in a way that make the pounds stick to us a little harder. Don't judge a book by its cover.

I don't completely agree with your plateau theory. Doing the same basics every class does not create a change in metabolism that allows our bodies to put on weight. It may only tone specific muscles but if the intensity is such that the heart rate elevates to age/fitness appropriate levels you will burn fat. Coupled with proper nutrition there is no reason you can't maintain weight or even lose it. It's not what you do it's how you do it.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appearances aren't everything! My uncle Meyer was a heavyweight boxer, but after he quit he let himself go. He's 52 now, pushing obesity ( big beer belly) but he still can throw the hardest punch I've ever felt. You should give the dojo a try and determine for yourself whether the instructor is good or not.

Ready!!....FIREEEE!!!!... Aim...!!

Appearances aren't everything! My uncle Meyer was a heavyweight boxer, but after he quit he let himself go. He's 52 now, pushing obesity ( big beer belly) but he still can throw the hardest punch I've ever felt. You should give the dojo a try and determine for yourself whether the instructor is good or not.

I don't think that it has anything to do with your teaching skills-or your punching skills. I think that what it comes down to is the image that you portray and how you represent the tenets of self discipline and self control to your students. If you are expecting them exhibit these qualities in their practice then you should too. And, if you are truly teaching self defense then you must not allow your students to be fooled into thinking that one punch is going to end the fight...their life may depend on their fitness and agility.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

• 2 weeks later...

I broke my pelvis in a parachute accident, while in a "spec ops" unit that had huge oversight by USASOC and USSOCOM. That was 4 years ago, and I have put on at least 10-12 pounds every year since that time. I have severe arthritis, and the metal and screws that holds my pelvis together.

I still am able to coach fighters that win kickboxing/Muay Thai titles and train kyu students to beat black belts in Kyokushin tournaments.

Like Evergrey said, I would first observe what they can do, and observe their students. Long story short, a high ranking instructor should be judged by their students...if the students are garbage, and the instructor is obviously not "capable," I would than run.

Osu!

I don't think that it has anything to do with your teaching skills-or your punching skills. I think that what it comes down to is the image that you portray and how you represent the tenets of self discipline and self control to your students. If you are expecting them exhibit these qualities in their practice then you should too. And, if you are truly teaching self defense then you must not allow your students to be fooled into thinking that one punch is going to end the fight...their life may depend on their fitness and agility.

8)

I have to take some issue with this. An obese person can also be "fit." An obese person can also have a great deal of self discipline and self control. You don't know why they are obese just by looking at them, or what kind of a person they are. All you know is that they are obese. That's it.

Perhaps consider that the "example" they may be setting is that people can have health at any size, and that anyone can and should follow their dreams and do what they've always wanted to do. Perhaps the example they may be setting is that no one should feel ashamed for how they are shaped, and no one should "punish" themselves by denying themselves their joy because they are not an "acceptable" weight.

Maybe they aren't giving the message "hey, you shouldn't take care of yourself, why bother?"

Maybe they are giving the message "we are all human beings, regardless of a number of a scale or a certain aesthetic, and we should all be respectful of one another, and not judge based on appearance?" Maybe they are giving the message "I am worthy and I can do things too." Maybe they are giving the message "health and fitness should be for everyone, and movement is healthy for everyone."

I would like to tell you a little bit about someone who you might say, by looking at him, has no self-discipline.

His name is Wullie Rodger. He has a double chin. He's a big guy! He lives in Oban, Scotland.

A few days ago, Wullie, who is, I believe, in his 40s, completed his SECOND 100 person kumite. By doing this, he raised a thousand dollars for a charity that sees to the care of wounded veterans. He fought 100 fights in a row, no breaks. ONE HUNDRED FIGHTS. NO BREAKS. He fought Kyokushin karateka, kickboxers, and MMA fighters. Full contact knockdown, and kickboxing, and MMA rules, depending on who he fought. He finished out with some broken bones and a lot of bruises, but he FINISHED.

How many thin people do you know who have done the same?

Perhaps it is not so safe to assume that someone's self-discipline, fitness, and abilities can be gauged by their weight!

OSU

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

I might also add that there are certain medical conditions that cause people to gain weight that have nothing whatsoever to do with laziness, lack of fitness, or self-discipline...

Making casual judgments based on personal bias is easy. If the instructor can teach the students well, then what does it matter his, or her, weight? Today's medical establishment loves to blame laziness and lack of self-discipline for "Obesity". If someone is over weight, then they must be lazy. Sometimes this is the case. Other times, there may be underlying medical conditions such as thyroid malfunction, PCOS, injuries that prevent an active lifestyle.

Making flawed judgements about people's fitness level based on appearances, and not experience, is somewhat shallow. If I made that mistake with Wullie, or Uncle Meyer, I am sure that I would pay for it in humility, bruises, and possible injuries. Weight is not a measure of fighting ability, or of fitness.

OSU!

OSU!

I would like to tell you a little bit about someone who you might say, by looking at him, has no self-discipline.

His name is Wullie Rodger. He has a double chin. He's a big guy! He lives in Oban, Scotland.

A few days ago, Wullie, who is, I believe, in his 40s, completed his SECOND 100 person kumite. By doing this, he raised a thousand dollars for a charity that sees to the care of wounded veterans. He fought 100 fights in a row, no breaks. ONE HUNDRED FIGHTS. NO BREAKS. He fought Kyokushin karateka, kickboxers, and MMA fighters. Full contact knockdown, and kickboxing, and MMA rules, depending on who he fought. He finished out with some broken bones and a lot of bruises, but he FINISHED.

Perhaps it is not so safe to assume that someone's self-discipline, fitness, and abilities can be gauged by their weight!

OSU

AWESOME.

OSU

AWESOME.

Totally awesome, I wish I could have been there in person to support him, OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)