• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Overweight Karate Instructors

mathemajikian

I think part of the problem is a lot of instructors started out life slimmer and more active but as they got older (like any athlete) their training slows down and they start putting on the weight. Injuries happen too and for whatever reason, they can't train on that level any more. But that doesn't mean they don't know their stuff and aren't good at conveying this knowledge!

Besides, bigger guys can be amazing martial artists. One of the most impressive people I've ever had the chance to train with was a Canadian TKD 7th dan who was overweight but I have never seen anyone who could move and kick as fast as that. In fact one of my favourite martial artist actors is Sammo Hung because he is a big guy and can do what he does.

I think instructors have an obligation to train themselves daily and keep up , you don't give up training becuase you are 4th dan or 5th dan and still be an active teacher , now I fully understand those qualified teachers who experience health issues and that prevent or limit their training but they have wealth of experience and could teach all aspects of karate ,there are so much about strategy and tips about techniques kumite and kata that they can pass on ,those masters are gems .

never give up !

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think part of the problem is a lot of instructors started out life slimmer and more active but as they got older (like any athlete) their training slows down and they start putting on the weight. Injuries happen too and for whatever reason, they can't train on that level any more. But that doesn't mean they don't know their stuff and aren't good at conveying this knowledge!

Besides, bigger guys can be amazing martial artists. One of the most impressive people I've ever had the chance to train with was a Canadian TKD 7th dan who was overweight but I have never seen anyone who could move and kick as fast as that. In fact one of my favourite martial artist actors is Sammo Hung because he is a big guy and can do what he does.

I think instructors have an obligation to train themselves daily and keep up , you don't give up training becuase you are 4th dan or 5th dan and still be an active teacher , now I fully understand those qualified teachers who experience health issues and that prevent or limit their training but they have wealth of experience and could teach all aspects of karate ,there are so much about strategy and tips about techniques kumite and kata that they can pass on ,those masters are gems .

Yes but you can't expect every instructor to be as active as they once were and able to do all the things they used to do. By the time you get to be a 4th or 5th dan, usually you're a bit older and so they won't be keeping up with their younger students and still doing all the rigorous training. Like you said, they still have the knowledge of strategy and techniques which they can pass on.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Yes but you can't expect every instructor to be as active as they once were and able to do all the things they used to do. By the time you get to be a 4th or 5th dan, usually you're a bit older and so they won't be keeping up with their younger students and still doing all the rigorous training. Like you said, they still have the knowledge of strategy and techniques which they can pass on.

Excellently said. I've been told that I should have my 5th Dan by the time I'm 45 (I'm 30 now.) 15 years for 4 more stripes... I think I'll probably gain some weight by then :P

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

I didn't expect my first insrructor to keep up all the time. In his 40s he'd had one knee surgery, a major back surgery that fuse vertebra and joint damage in an elbow I didn't expect him to keep pace with 20-somethings every night. It's a rwality we all will have to face at some point.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii31/sensei8_2008/089.jpg

I'm the one on the left. Please don't judge me by what's on the outside, instead, allow the floor to judge me.

Since 2000, I've lost just over 55 pounds, and this picture was taken about 2 years ago.

The floor has no mercy, let the floor speak for itself on my behalf, and as well as those who've shared the floor with me.

:)

Train with this guy once; you won't be considering the weight. I'm the guy on the right, and I'm no lightweight, probably pushing around 260 in that picture. But, I can kick to the head, break 4 boards with a round kick, and do a flying side kick over 3 people.

I'll tell you this; its hell getting old. I don't consider myself too old yet, but I've found that when you don't have time to work out 5 days a week, things tend to change on you. Kids take more time, spouses like to have you around, too. Workout time starts to slip away. And if you're like me, you don't miss meals. So, its tough sometimes to keep the weight in check like when you are younger.

I'll say this, though; don't judge that book by its cover. I've seen some quick big men before. And the ones that aren't quick, lots of times are very tough, and when they get a hold of you, they are very strong.

Instead of seeing their weight, its important to check out what kind of experience they have, and then see how it goes in classes.

Great picture! I have never studied a Korean style, there are no Kwoon here where I live. But I'm encouraged by the Young Olympic Taekwando gold medalist from North Wales. I watched her winning match, I was very impressed. My Karate is very different to that sort of kick fighting, I find it very interesting though. Keep up the good work guys! Osu!

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I agree with all those supporting the overweight instructors. I have also gained some weight over the years and I can still do many things I used to but certainly not all of them. And the ones I can still do are increasingly difficult even when I train regularly. For example, I still spar even with the younger guys but my bad knee keeps me from doing certain aerial moves.

I was 145 when I started training and have been as heavy as 230 (mostly due to injuries and decreasing metabolism with age) and it makes very little difference in how I teach. Since I know how something is done (even if I don't perform it as well now), I can still explain it in great detail and coach a student until he gets it right.

We need to keep in mind that most of our bodies will start to fail us before our minds do. And the mind is where the knowledge is kept.

Paranoia is not a fault. It is clarity of the world around us.

A teachers job is to teach. He doesn't have to be a good fighter or superior athlete to accomplish his goals. Look at Don Familton and half the other boxing coaches in the world, they're frail old men....with TONS of knowledge to share with those who don't worry about trivial things.

Seek not to follow in the footsteps of the old masters, rather, seek what they sought

Solid post, Jissen! OSU!

Hey BOB!

I showed your picture to my Sensei just now. I said "yeah see... there's something about him, the way he holds himself, the energy he has, that says "why yes, I do have decades of experience." I wouldn't challenge him to throw down and see who's the bigger dog!"

Sensei looked at me, straight faced and said "I would."

"You... would?"

He nodded and said "Yes. From 25 yards away, with a loaded 357 Magnum. That's the only way I would."

LOL!

He just added that he wouldn't really want to throw down with you, as you're too nice of a guy. ;} Nothing but respect here, from both of us!

I really hope we can meet up in person and play and learn sometime!

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

• 1 month later...

I can share from experience:

I am 30 years old, and an instructor. I've been doing karate for 16 years. I was VERY fit when I was 18~, I was about 90-95KG of stamina and muscle. - Something that changed after being hit twice by cars and having surgery complications within the span of a year.

I gained A LOT of weight, and when I, after a year of recovery came back to karate, I was 168KG of blubber. My 3.kyu grading was done at 150KG, and I still managed (probably poorly) my jodan sokutogeri. My weight has been an issue for the last 10 years, and I've gone down steadily. I am at 105-110 now, and very happy with how I look compared to 2003. I am still considered overweight, although no longer obese/morbidly obese,

There are things I cannot do gracefully, or as easily as a superfit guy/girl. However, I must play to my strengths. I am fast and rather limber, and I KNOW my techniques. I also am aware of my weaknesses, and I know how to handle them. I let my students know I can't do everything perfectly. I am not a perfect karate-ka. I know none.

I try to keep fit. I am strong, I am fast, I am agile and I am getting better. I realized long ago that I owe my students to be the best I can be.

And as long as I do my best, and strive for better, I can do nothing more for my students.

Karate ni Sente Nashi