• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Overweight Karate Instructors

mathemajikian

I wouldn't like to fight a sumo wrestler is all I can say, they have a different kind of fitness. If a master of Martial arts doesn't train his body as well as his mind, then he has no balance and therefore poor spiritual development. This is how Kung Fu was born.

sumo wrestlers also eat at a HUGE caloric surplus to get that fat

but yeah,still trough,whe dont see that much great

karatecas,muay thai figthers e.t.c,who are fat,not saying they dont exist

all i am saying is a instructor should be a role model,and by being extremely overweight,98% the times not because of a health problem,isnt a good thing

hehehe,osu

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, your instructor should be able to perform all the syllabus he's teaching, many have their sempai do the demonstrating for them in their older years. A Sensei should not teach any technique he can't perform himself.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

I agree, your instructor should be able to perform all the syllabus he's teaching, many have their sempai do the demonstrating for them in their older years. A Sensei should not teach any technique he can't perform himself.

yes thats the thing

op said that the instructors,werent just extremely overweight

but they also had terrible balance and sloopy tecnhique,so he should just get out of there

its not worth training with such instructors,they problent are even decent athletes

i am sorry,but unless you have some medical problems(some serious problems that will TRULY stop you from losing weight),thats just a horrible horrible excuse

thats not how the human body works,it doesnt matter what your body tipe is UNLESS you have serious health problems,you will lose weight if you do it right,and saying otherwise is just insane

so are you telling me that if you go to a extremely poor area in africa live there for a year eating 600 calories everyday you wont lose weight,because of your genetics?

camon......

i am not trying to be offensive,but the whole genetic things,is used a litle bit to much,but dont take my word for it,go to bodybuilding.com,and have the same argument,some guys that have a huge ammount of knoweldge about dieting(a LOT more then 98% of all nutricionists out there),and they will tell you whats up....

cheers

Nobody is saying if you're healthy enough for exercise and have no medical issues you can't lose weight. However just because you lose a lot of weight doesn't necessarily mean you'll be all lean muscle. I know many people who eat healthy and work out hard yet still look heavy. A bear can't look like an otter no matter how hard he works. Consequently a natural heavyweight will find it virtually impossible to become a lightweight.

Besides your example is a poor one. Eating only 600 calories will make you lose weight as your body will be feeding on its muscle to survive. That is neither healthy nor what a martial artist should strive for.

Even if it's only medical issues disallowing him? Due to hip issues my instructor can't kick above the waist with either leg. He still has enough experience and training though to know how exactly the techniques are executed. This approach would also exclude instructors whose age caught up to them. It should be a case by case basis, not a general blanket.

We should always learn from another's experience, but if they can't perform any more they become more of a coach than an instructor. Usain Bolt's coach can't run as fast as him, I see your point.

We should always learn from another's experience, but if they can't perform any more they become more of a coach than an instructor. Usain Bolt's coach can't run as fast as him, I see your point.

I don't understand the difference between the two to be honest.

A coach leads and guides you to achieve more than he can do. An instructor shows by example and you follow to achieve as much skill as him one day. That's how I see it, my friend is a football coach, my Sensei is a Karate instructor.

I'm overweight BMI is around 40

My Cholesterol levels are just over 4

I demonstrate EVERY Kihon (Basic) technique

I demonstrate EVERY kata.

I do the "Bag test" with my students

I fight with my students

I do the warm up/down with my students

I practice my Kata Every day

I do sit ups & press-ups every day

But I'm still overweight.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)