• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Overweight Karate Instructors

mathemajikian

I'm about a stone overweight, I feel the gradings I have had with this instructor as he really pushes me. But they are getting no easier, all my sensei does is make me try harder.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I train for ease of movement, hopefully with no injury.

I meditate for ease of thought, hopefully with no stress.

As I get older my Martial arts become more Spiritual.

A coach leads and guides you to achieve more than he can do. An instructor shows by example and you follow to achieve as much skill as him one day. That's how I see it, my friend is a football coach, my Sensei is a Karate instructor.

But even a student can someday surpass his instructor. And what if your coach was an Olympic champion and did do amazing things? The two aren't mutually exclusive.

When they say calorie deficit they mean a small % of your total daily plan so that it adds up in a weekly total.

Example: Your body needs 2000 calories per day in idle state.

If you can eat say 1850 calories per day that will sum up -1050 calories per week that if continued for 1-3 months will result in weight loss. (with the exception of hormone and thyroid related medical problems)

When i started Karate last November i was 95kg. When I started a nutrition plan combined with exercise, by Summer I lost -15kg and improved my endurance and self confidence.

Maybe the difference between a coach and an instructor is purely academic, I agree, all we can do is to learn in life. Experience will teach us no matter how well we achieve. This is a great thread guys, hammer and tongs, keep it up! Osu!

3500kcal is equivalent to around 1lb of body weight so for an average person with no medical issues to lose weight at a rate of 1lb per week they would need to create a deficit of around 500kcal per day from maintenance.

I dropped from around 14st to 12st around 3 years ago using that logic with a constant deficit created either through a drop in calories when on a day I wasn't training or aiming for around 500 calorie usage when training.

Losing weight for an average person is a pretty simple thing to do, as long as you have willpower and no excuses (most people have no will power and a boat-load of excuses).

Many people I know also choose not count alcohol consumption in their diet which at 7kcal per gram certainly adds up!

I dont think weight or being over weight has any thing to do with it, sensei Kaze is a good example of this , he was small in size but over weight and if you didn't know him you wouldn't think much of him as an athlete but he was absolutely awsome karateka and moved around and unbalance and strike people much bigger than him like a Leopard !

I was 6 or 7th kyu when I trained with him at a crystal palace and I was mesmerised by his ability like every one else in the group ! mostly becuase I couldn't believe a man of his stature could be able to move so swiftly and gracefully .

being over wieght and being unfit is not the same ,some people have a great physique but not that skillful in karate and some poeple are not naturaly gifted pyhsically but they make up for it with skill and ability .

you need to look beyond their apearance and watch their ability ,if he can't practice what he preach as an instuctor then look somewhere else.

never give up !

being over wieght and being unfit is not the same ,some people have a great physique but not that skillful in karate and some poeple are not naturaly gifted pyhsically but they make up for it with skill and ability .

you need to look beyond their apearance and watch their ability

I think this is the kind of thing people need to keep in mind. Appearance means little compared to fighting ability.