• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking about a new gi

chiliphil1

I like the Juka Emerald for its roomy fit in the seat and shoulders...good for a stocky Goju guy. FYI, I use a Shureido HW size 4, but a Juka Emerald size 4.5.

John,

How does the fit of the Tokon America or Europa compare with a Shureido or Juka Emerald? I'm looking for some alternatives to Shureido and Juka for my students. Thought I'd ask you, as I'm already a customer of ASE.

Chris

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been away from KF for a while. We were playing musical computers at work, so I was busy reconfiguring systems and shifting data around. Then, I got preoccupied getting ready for our upcoming trip to Japan! Woot! We leave Saturday for two weeks.

Anyway, the Tokon America and Europa are both pretty full cuts and tend to run large. I haven't seen a Shureido up close in a long time, and I don't think I've ever handled an Emerald. Shureido tends to fit a little looser than many gi, but I don't remember how they compare to Tokon. I'm pretty sure that Shureido didn't run bigger. If anything, it might be a little smaller. But again, I'm going off really old info. Sorry, I can't be more specific.

Thanks John.

I'll be giving you a call in the near future to give a Tokon a try.

Chris

Nine Dragons Martial Arts

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

hey guys, thank you for all the input. I have still not been able to purchase the gi, but I have been doing tons of research. Upon previous reccomendation I think I will hold off on a super high end gi for the time being, although one day I will have a Tokaido or Shureido! Anyway, I have seen 3 that I think I am narrowed down to, but I wanted to see if anyone had personal experience or opinion on them.

1. Ki mugen black label ( my#1 choice at the moment)

2. Ronin shiai ( same japanese canvas as tokaido costs twice the mugen)

3 tokaido kaminari gold label 14oz ( made in china, heard good and bad things about quality)

I have looked at all gi's suggested on this post and MANY more. I think that these 3 best meet my needs as far as cut and material. The biggest thing is that i'm again not sure if the ronin justifies it's cost the other 2 are in the $ 80 and under ball park whereas the Ronin is $150

Thanks again for all the input, sorry to be so back and forth on it, it's just hard to commit to buying something I have never seen or worn in person, but all the schools seem to sell is Century.

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate