• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thinking about a new gi

chiliphil1

So, my gi is old, I have had it for 15 years, and it is a bit small these days, so I was thinking of replacing it. I am also in the market for a different color, my style allowed Dan ranks to wear red gi's with black pants, in fact now that I think about it they gave me the red one when I got my black belt, anyway. I am wanting a traditional white karate ki, I am also wanting to take up Japanese karate so I believe that white would be most appropriate for me, and I can't stand the thought of wearing the junk lightweight ones they give new students, I've gotten used to the heavyweight stuff and that's where I'd like to stay.

So I am asking for your opinions, I am looking at 2 different things 1 os the century ironman, I've always worn nothing but century, even my belt is century anyhow 2 is one of the Japanese made tokaido ones. I known this is bike comparing apples to oranges, but I just wonder if the tokaido is worth the money, it is nearly double the price of the century which is already expensive.

So, any input?

Black belt AFAF # 178

Tang Soo Do

8th Kyu

Matsubayashi ryu shorin ryu karate

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Personally, I think Juka dragon makes the best gi's for the price. They aren't as well known brand, but you can get a top of the line gi for anywhere between 80 to $110. They have all different kinds of cuts too (i.e. traditional 12 oz, 14, oz, tournament 10 oz, 12 oz, and a cut specificially for women too). I've had a number of their gi's. My silver juka lasted me 5 years. Their most comfortable gi in my opinion though is the bronze (10 oz tournament cut). It's feels soft yet looks crisp and sounds. It get's little tiny holes in it with age, but it will still last you several years of moderate training. The black gi's they sell also look really good. They end up grayish colored with a very marbled texture.

http://www.juka.com/uniform/juka.htm

Of course if you want to spend the money on an expensive gi such as tokaido , why not just buy a Shureido gi? They make them straight from Okinawa. They probably make the highest quality karate equipment around.

http://shureidousa.com/gi/gi.html

Myself I prefer lightweight Gi's that breath best. I just love my Adidas Training K220 with the ventilated sections. Of course I live and train in Greece where summers are crazy hot.

I would consider wearing a better looking heavier gi only for examinations and shows.

For Kumite I have no idea yet cuz of my rank.

Adidas make gis for Sport, Heyashi make gis for the Art, Tokiaido make gis for Show.
Thank you for the input, I suppose I will take a look at hyashi then!

FYI, Harkon72's location says Wales. His "Heyashi" gi might not be readily available in the USA. Also, if he means Hayashi, his Hayashi might not be the same as the Hayashi uniforms found here.

There are a great number of heavy weights available in the US. People can make recommendations based on what they like, but it might not be the right gi for you. For example, JohnnyB's Adidas K220 (known as Adidas Karate Training Gi in the USA) sounds like it's perfect for him, but it's not a heavy weight and sounds too light for you. The same probably goes for SamsIamz Juka Bronze, although the Juka Silver or Gold might be closer to what you're looking for.

As far as Century Ironman vs Japan-made Tokaido, I haven't felt the Ironman, but I've heard that they are stiff and heavy. Some people like that, and some don't. Japan-made Tokaido heavy weights are constructed of a high quality, smooth, tightly woven material. Think of it like sheets with a higher thread count. It should be much more comfortable and easier to move in, although the Ironman is brushed cotton, so it might not be as rough as it otherwise would be. The Tokaido are about 12 oz compared to the Ironman at 14 oz.

It's hard to say whether the Tokaido is worth double the Ironman. You're paying a double premium for the prestige of the Tokaido name and the fact that it's made in Japan. Many think it's worth it, but to be honest, most people don't. Obviously, very few beginners and even intermediate level students would spend that kind of money. Most of the people we sell the Japan-made Tokaido to are senseis of Japanese styles.

Not knowing you, my general recommendation would be to not buy a Japan-made Tokaido until you've been training in a Japanese style for a while. Still, since you're already an experienced martial artist, I'd recommend you get a good quality heavy weight as opposed to a budget heavy weight. Off the top of my head, maybe something like a Juka (as recommended by SamsIamz) or a China-made Tokaido or Meijin or Tokon. If you have any questions about these options, please feel free to ask. I don't know as much about Juka or Meijin, but we have a lot of experience with the Japan-made Tokaido, China-made Tokaido and Tokon.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I like the Juka Emerald for its roomy fit in the seat and shoulders...good for a stocky Goju guy. FYI, I use a Shureido HW size 4, but a Juka Emerald size 4.5.

John,

How does the fit of the Tokon America or Europa compare with a Shureido or Juka Emerald? I'm looking for some alternatives to Shureido and Juka for my students. Thought I'd ask you, as I'm already a customer of ASE.

Chris

Chris

• 1 month later...
I like the Juka Emerald for its roomy fit in the seat and shoulders...good for a stocky Goju guy. FYI, I use a Shureido HW size 4, but a Juka Emerald size 4.5.

John,

How does the fit of the Tokon America or Europa compare with a Shureido or Juka Emerald? I'm looking for some alternatives to Shureido and Juka for my students. Thought I'd ask you, as I'm already a customer of ASE.

Chris

Sorry it took me so long to reply. I've been away from KF for a while. We were playing musical computers at work, so I was busy reconfiguring systems and shifting data around. Then, I got preoccupied getting ready for our upcoming trip to Japan! Woot! We leave Saturday for two weeks.

Anyway, the Tokon America and Europa are both pretty full cuts and tend to run large. I haven't seen a Shureido up close in a long time, and I don't think I've ever handled an Emerald. Shureido tends to fit a little looser than many gi, but I don't remember how they compare to Tokon. I'm pretty sure that Shureido didn't run bigger. If anything, it might be a little smaller. But again, I'm going off really old info. Sorry, I can't be more specific.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com