• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Transition from Shotokan to Kyokushin

JohnnyB

Kata training exists but only for passing exams. The training is always very intense and always 1.5hour long.

I've said it before and I say it again, I think kata should take a bigger precedence then that. There are a lot of very useful things to be learned in kata.

That being said, I'm glad that you found a dojo that fits your training preferences and that you can be happy in. Congrats!

I agree, kata should have a greater emphasis.

However, in my experiences with several Kyokushin dojo's, kata application is usually left until higher ranks. I dont know why, perhaps to build up strength first as well as tame the "flight" part of adrenal response through free sparring.

Glad you enjoy it so far :)

OSU!

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kata training exists but only for passing exams. The training is always very intense and always 1.5hour long.

I've said it before and I say it again, I think kata should take a bigger precedence then that. There are a lot of very useful things to be learned in kata.

That being said, I'm glad that you found a dojo that fits your training preferences and that you can be happy in. Congrats!

I agree, kata should have a greater emphasis.

However, in my experiences with several Kyokushin dojo's, kata application is usually left until higher ranks. I dont know why, perhaps to build up strength first as well as tame the "flight" part of adrenal response through free sparring.

Glad you enjoy it so far :)

OSU!

I don't necessarily think that kata "should" have greater precedence. If its not necessary, then I say move away from it and do something more productive with the time, and find a different testing venue. But if kata is going to be done, then it should have more value than "just for testing."

From what I was told by the Sensei, Kata is practiced so that the Karateka goes up through the ranks but the emphasis of the dojo is kumite. The Sensei has multiple world and european gold medals in Kumite and his dojo students compete in kumite as well. He is in olympic shape and all the students in class are in decent shape. In this dojo the average overweight person would have difficulty to cope with. Nothing is impossible of course BUT it needs willpower and motivation.

I hate schools that just practice Kata for passing grades, it's like carrying around an empty flask. It contains no water so you'll always be thirsty. Same as the kata, without Bunkai and Oyo, the Kata is just an oriental dance. It's the instructor's fault fonopassing on the knowledge

I concentrate on Bunkai & Oyo a student MUST be able to apply the Kata of the previous grade to pass the next.

Bassai for example has been known to contain at least

14 neck wrenches within it.

Edited by Dobbersky

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

As I have said before, Kata is the Soul of Karate, it's techniques are the fabric of your style; it is what defines it, the Bunkai is where the style lies.

Look to the far mountain and see all.