• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shu Ha Ri -- Please provide your thoughts

SamsIAmz

This is a new concept I've become aware of, from another poster (Dobbersky) on this forum. I honestly know very little about it, only what I've read on wikipedia in the past five minutes. It really seems fascinating and to embody so many other concepts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuhari

It seems to me to follow the natural progression of any martial art. First you learn the techniques exactly as they are. Then you progress to modify it to fit your body, mind, or whatever is needed in your life at the moment. Then you ultimately forget the technique, and that's when the true spirit martial arts, or if we are regarding karate the kara ("emptiness") emerges. The final ri seems to reflect the concept of mushin ("no mind"), or of letting go and allowing the divine spirit to direct your practice, techniques, life.

However, I know very little about this subject. I might have the whole concept totally wrong :lol:

I want to hear your thoughts on the concept of Shu Ha Ri and what you feel it is really about.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My own MA betterment depends on Shu Ha Ri.

A flower depends on many elements, none more important than another, however, each element must experience varying stages, and in that, these stages are repeated over and over during the life of the flower because that one day isn't alone; many days make up that flowers entire life.

I learn, and I experience, and I discover, however, not just for one time, but for all eternity as my own MA betterment escapes from a stale existence.

Teach me, improve me, and receive me...not just once, but each and everyday that my eyes become open to what lies before me.

What one word, imho, describes Shu Ha Ri? POSSIBILITIES!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Not my own words but Sensei Endō Seishirō best describes what Shu Ha Ri is:

"It is known that, when we learn or train in something, we pass through the stages of shu, ha, and ri. These stages are explained as follows. In shu, we repeat the forms and discipline ourselves so that our bodies absorb the forms that our forbearers created. We remain faithful to the forms with no deviation. Next, in the stage of ha, once we have disciplined ourselves to acquire the forms and movements, we make innovations. In this process the forms may be broken and discarded. Finally, in ri, we completely depart from the forms, open the door to creative technique, and arrive in a place where we act in accordance with what our heart/mind desires, unhindered while not overstepping laws." Endō Seishirō

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

True Budo ensues from the No Mind, the best example I can think of is the point of release of the arrow in Kyudo. When the pool of the mind is calm, only then can the kime come to being.

Look to the far mountain and see all.