• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Kata Speed and Power

SamsIAmz

How do you prefer to practice kata (when by yourself and on average)?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. How do you prefer to practice kata (when by yourself and on average)?

• Speed and power (intensity)
    • Slow and soft (relaxing)
    • Power, but mixed rate of speed
    • Soft, but mixed rate of speed
    • Slow with power (dynamic tension)
    • I don't practice kata by myself

Recently (as in the last year or so) I've been practicing kata with speed and power (mostly power as I leave time between some of the moves, or do some of the moves with dynamic tension). In books by funakoshi and other great masters, they always talk about building a strong body through kata practice. I do highly value kata, but sometimes I wonder if perhaps there are things in kata practice we are missing. What if kata is really meant to be practiced with power? It just got me thinking. Also I want a workout and to practice karate, yet I only have so much time. Therefore I started practicing kata with power.

What do you guys thing about kata? Do you feel they are meant to be practiced slow? Fast? Perhaps somewhere in between?

And what about power. Do you guys feel there should be no tension? Lots of tension? I find with no tension I am nice and relaxed, yet with lots of tension I am even more relaxed after I finish practicing.

Just looking for any thoughts regarding individual kata practice (not partnered practice).

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...What do you guys thing about kata? Do you feel they are meant to be practiced slow? Fast? Perhaps somewhere in between?

And what about power. Do you guys feel there should be no tension? Lots of tension? I find with no tension I am nice and relaxed, yet with lots of tension I am even more relaxed after I finish practicing.

Just looking for any thoughts regarding individual kata practice (not partnered practice).

Depends on the individual kata itself, if you practice with bunkai (application) in mind against another person, even an imaginary one you'll develop your own sense of how much power, speed, etc you need to use to deliver those techniques.

E.g. Learning the kata at first; I do the kata slowly (to make sure that I use the proper techniques), then with power, then add the timing/speed.

Following that, learning the bunkai increases the above :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

The nature of kata is such that it needs power in some places, passiveness in others together with a mixture of speed and slow 'breather' moves all of which emulate an attack.

I have seen some karateka put full on power into kata and often forget to breathe and I have seen some who plod through kata so slowly that they could not possibly perform it well as, regardless of skill, gravity will always make your life difficult.

Power where needed, likewise passiveness, speed where needed likewise slower moves!

Upto the last year or so I've been practicing my Kata with Speed and Power.

Now with reference to my investigation into Bunkai, Oyo, application etc of the kata, I found that they are more set for "Power, but mixed rate of speed"

Good Post, very much encompasses the "Shu Ha Ri" of Kata

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

When I practice on my own I am typically in my living room and if I use any power it scares our rabbits and gets our dog excited because he thinks I am playing, therefor I tend to not use power and work on relaxing and letting my techniques flow without speed or kime. When I train at the dojo, I do power and speed if I want a workout, and if I am working for technique/applications I do power with a mixed rate of speed.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

When I practice on my own I am typically in my living room and if I use any power it scares our rabbits and gets our dog excited because he thinks I am playing

When I had a dog and lived with my dad, he would get worried if we did partner exercises. Also, if doing kata, I would have to dance around him, make sure not to hit him. I preferred to think of it as making the kata a bit more dynamic in nature. Now my cat just sometimes pounces on my legs.

Edited by SamsIAmz

Everyone's answers are really fascinating. I really appreciate all the input.

Just some more thoughts:

What really intrigues me though is that many chinese styles (particularly tai chi and I believe bagua too), feel that kata (or forms) should initially learned slowly, then progress faster the more proficient you get. However they practice it very very slowly, and this period seems to last much longer than the average karateka learning a form.

Watching very experienced karate practitioners (generally older too), many of them seem to move slowly and softly, with some exceptions. Though in their younger years they clearly moved with more force.

At what point in your practice/life do you feel it is appropriate to move towards the other dimension of practice? While this is largely a personal opinion, it's interesting to note how everyone feels about this.

Additionally what do you feel are the benefits of initially practice soft and going to a harder style, versus initially practice hard and going to a softer style?

Note: feel free to keep responding to the initial question. The replies are very interesting.

Good Post, very much encompasses the "Shu Ha Ri" of Kata

I have to apologize for continually adding posts. Anyway, I had never heard of the concept of shu ha ri. I looked it up though and I absolutely love it. Shu Ha Ri definitely is at the core of the martial arts as a whole. Perhaps there should be another post regarding people's opinions on shu ha ri.

Each kata has a diferrent concept and meaning and focuses on particular stuff .

we must learn the kata first from a bonofied instructer ,understand its meaning and how it is done , some slow moves with tention and some fast with speed and power .

kata like Nijushiho is a flowing and fluid kata , and there is no pause between each moves ,unlike say sochin or Empi .

I would do it slow with emphasis on correct form when I am warming up or when I just want to relax and practice correct form and evaluate the applications of the particular kata .

but I would like to do it fast and with power and like I am involved in a fight with multiple opponents and I put more effort in effectiveness of my technique rather than correct and textbook technique .

never give up !