• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Focus Mitts, any tips?

Harkon72

I've just acquired some hook and jab pads, or focus mitts. Their Longsdale leather ones, bargain. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good drills to use with them. I will be training with my wife, she's smaller than me and likes block-strike combinations. I just thought maybe a mobile target would be more realistic.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

well a block, punch,duck,punch,kick etc combo.... sounds good

Works your cardio,reflex and flexibility.

Jump kicks are good too. Helps precision.

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

Depends on what you want to drill really :)

Any sort of combination that you'd use in sparring normally. Just make sure she's not standing there holding the pad out way in front. Hook and jab pads are great but you have to use them with realism otherwise you might as well just get a heavy bag out.

Have your wife move about when holding the pads as someone would when they're sparring you and make sure she holds them in positions that match up to the targets you're striking. She can swing at you during or at the end of a combo to check you're keeping your guard tight. Can do stuff like attacking combos, counters (have her throw a kick or punch at you), whatever you want to work on.

tallgeese wrote a great article on it: http://www.karateforums.com/focus-mitt-training-for-the-multi-disciplined-fighter-vt34351.html

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

In addition to everything else that has been said so far, I like these drills:

Basically, anything that allows you to work combinations of blocks/deflections/checks, grabbing/controlling and strikes on a moving target. Your pad holder should move like they are sparring you--if you are working sparring combinations--or they should move like they are attacking you--if you are working self defense combinations.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

I'll have to work out some combinations. Jodan, Chudan, punch and strike, even a few kicks. Training on the move and focusing on some power will be a good workout, thank you.

Look to the far mountain and see all.