• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan Kata books

muttley

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Yes, "Karate Kata Applications" by Aiden Trimbel and Vince Morris.

Shotokan, simple, great Bunkai.

Yes I would second that, also Enoeda Sensei has 2 books out with kata and Kihon for each grade. Also look at Sensei John Burke for Kata books.

ISBN

0 7136 4311 0

0 7136 4312 9

0 0918 0938 X

0 9550 3403 5

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

When I was studying Shotokan as my main art, these are the two books that I used:

The Shotokan Karate Handbook: Beginner to Black Belt

Shotokan Karate Handbook: Advanced

Both written by my sensei at the time and

Karate Kata Applications

for the bunkai.

I also have and use the following DVD:

Kancho Hirokazu Kanazawa -Shotokan Karate Kata

One thing that I would recommend is getting the book/DVD that is more inline with your "branch" of shotokan, as there are slight variations in the kata's (comparing the main two: "JKA" branch and the "skkif" branch), while I've been to and studied with "both" branches, my main stream as it was, was the SKKIF (as Sensei Kanazawa was one of the instructors that my sensei studied under.)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

As far as a visual break down of Shotokan kata, Nakayama's "Best Karate" seris is very good. Nothing about application or anything else, just a well done, multi-photo break down of the movements with notes on the timing of the kata.

Here's a link to one of the series:

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Karate-Vol-5-Heian-Tekki/dp/0870113798/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1347194077&sr=8-8&keywords=M+Nakayama

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

The Best Karate series by Nakayama is an excellent series. They are inexpensive and you can select the volume you want based on the kata you need to remember. They even contain tips on bunkai.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Best+Karate

If you get the used copies, they are extremely inexpensive.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

My favorite is "Karate the Complete Kata" by Kanazawa. Most of the kata books I have seen only have the final positions, but this one also gives intermediate pictures and short paragraphs on how to transition from one position to the next.