• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Have you ever used karate in a real street fight .. ?

jinx

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jinx,

I've been studying martial arts for some years now. I have yet to actually use it in a street fight. In fact, I believe my training has actually help me avoid such conflicts, but I've always known in the back of my head that I have it should there be no other recourse. :karate:

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

No.

Which I think is a huge credit to my training. In 8th grade I was in 2 fights at school. I began training in 9th grade. I have not been in a fight since. That was 10 years ago. I have been in several situations where I have used Karate to break fights up. Such as chokes, locks, and PP. However I have not used it in anger.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Yes...

A few times... here's a couple.

First time was very scary... many years ago...(when i was young and stupid), I was approached by 3 teenage kids who were stoned. To cut a long story short, the first guy attacked me and I kicked him with a hard mawashi geri to his knee.... basically he didn't feel a thing at the time and then the situation escalated beyond my ability... In the blink of an eye, all 3 of them withdrew knives.... I had to 'eat some humble pie' and talk my way out of it.

Second time at a party (not a street fight per se) but involved a troublesome guy who I had to take down with a left hand wrist lock accompanied by a right ridge hand across the chest/throat area. He went down pretty hard, wondered what the heck just happened. That ended the party pretty quickly. :-?

There have been a few others, not worth mentioning and many others that *could* have escalated into a dangerous situation, but through years of training to be aware, most of these threatening situations were diminished or avoided completely.

I believe that is the most important part of karate training. ie. awareness. I could have avoided my first 'life threatening' encounter completely had I been paying attention.

Another important point...

If a situation escalates beyond your control or ability, don't try to be a superhero and let your ego get the better of you. You might wind up dead. Try other approaches such as verbal communication, avoidance, etc. I'd much rather swallow my pride than a knife.

Regards,

Jason Stanley

https://www.karatetools.com

---------------------------------------------------

Manage your dojo from anywhere 24/7!

---------------------------------------------------

You should only use it in Justice, but this still doesn't give you the right to use physical violance to someone if you dont use the skills you are taught. I only use it in extreme provocation (when someone threatens me or dishonours me), unprovoked attack or in protection of myself or loved ones and friends, to uphold Law and Order, when it is needed to stand up for unjust in society e.g. cruelty to others.

Any of these actions are never in anger.

"I'd much rather swallow my pride than a knife. "

Excelent word of wisdom KarateTips :)

Now I know why you put that thread about fighting drunken men in your forum. Interesting and good looking :D Must pass by again to read the new stuff :karate:

Speaking for myself ... I don't wanna fight and I'll chose to talk my way or even run. I've already done the "running" thing as I posted somewhere in this forum and I feel better than if I would have kicked the h..l out of that drunken man :D

Those who find out I do MA always reply with: "Ohhh. I'd better be careful."

Stupid ones. They feel I would fight them. Hmmm No way ... If it really gets serious and I can't avoid it, only them I'll show them who's the boss :D

No, I have not actually been in a fight in 15 yrs or so. Ive discovered that most adults do not fight to settle their differences. There are exceptions of course and humans are irrational but keeping a clear head and sense of awareness will go alot further than fighting. There have been a few times where I could have fought. Then I thought of the legal consequences and they outweighed my desire for self gratification and revenge. Always be the better person.... :up:

However, if you are in danger and have no choice hit with everything youve got and get away ASAP!!!

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

With all my training and all my efforts, I have unfortunately been in situations where I have had to use my Martial Arts. The first was apparently a situation where I was defending a girl vs. two guys. I say apparently because I do not remember it. The other two were me vs. a guy and me having to use martial arts because without it he would have killed me. I must implore to any new comers to the Martial Arts that you must not use it unless you absolutely need it.

"Never hit a man while he's down; kick him, its easier"

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

I have never used martial arts street wise. I would never unless any one starts with me. The most important lesson I learned about martial arts is to advoid fights as much as possible. But i`ll probably have to use it in self defense in upcoming events in my life.

AS many others have said on this thread, I feel my training has helped me avoid fights and troublesome situations greatly, I am yet to get into a fist fight with someone :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN