• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tried a BJJ class last night

My local YMCA offers an introductory BJJ course. Prior to the start of each session they offer a free demo night so people can try before they buy. The timing worked out last night, so I decided to go.

The instructor taught us a few introductory moves (in which we all stayed standing) and I rather enjoyed it. I think I need to get a better foundation in my base art (I've only been training for 2 years) before I start cross-training but it might be a useful addition somewhere down the road!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Of course I'm biased, but jump in now :) !

2 years is plenty of foundation and the two arts are so dissimilar that it will not present any difficulty. Look at how MMA fighters train these days, it's nothing to have MT, boxing, BJJ and wrestling in their training programs and they do it without "confusion" all the time. It's a good pattern for becoming, and quickly at that, a multidisciplinary fighter.

That said, always check the linage of your new BJJ gym. More and more people are getting "loose" with their ground credentials these days due to the popularity of the art. Not saying your Y program is in anyway not legit, I'm just saying be sure.

That said, jump in as soon as you have time and join the club :)

There's enough diffrence in the two given arts that there will be no way to get anything crossed up. I would have started training in bjj much sooner had I found my coach sooner. And this would have been per black belt days for me.

I am a nidan in Shotokan and a Brown Belt in BJJ. You can train both without getting them confused. They are an excellent mix and have been used effectively by Loyota Machida in the UFC. Do both.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

Thanks for the encouragement! I can't fit BJJ in to my schedule right now, but I will seriously consider taking the intro course in the spring after my university courses are done for the year. :)

And yes, I checked out the instructor's credentials. In addition to the Y program he also teaches at two other locations. He has been training since 1989 and lists his lineage right on his website. It goes back to Carlos Gracie Sr. and Reyson Gracie. I also goggled his immediate instructor and while all the results were in portugese and goggle translate sucks, I gleaned enough info that I'm pretty sure he is legit.