• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

At my second brown belt test (1st kyu) I was one of the few people who was not throwing up. There was some kind of a bug invading the ranks and after the first kid let go oh wow did the barf flow.

Just go with it. Pretend test is just another class. There is no trick to being in front of people. Just do it.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What advice would you give for someone who is like me? I have a problem with "public speaking", like saying the student oath (I'm sure Dee can benifit from this advice too). I know it by heart, but I "choke" every time. I'm so scared to be the senior in the night class (I hide in the day classes LOL). Dang, I can't wait to get my blue belt so I can be the "pee wee" in the advanced class hehehehe.

Laurie F

Do what I do...don't look at anyone. Look at the wall behind their heads. I find that making eye contact during the creed/oath causes distraction/giggling/mass mayhem.

Start out small. This might help karatekid, but I'm not sure about Dee.

This will probably only work if the day class is small.

Tell your day class instructor about your problem. Ask him/her if it would be ok for you to lead the class in the oath until you get used to it. Make sure you ask the class senior if it's ok to take away his/her privelige for awhile!

This goes for everyone: Ask yourself what you're afraid of. Messing up? Being embarassed? These are more likely to happen if you worry about them! But even if they do, you wouldn't be the first one. Nobody's going to kick you out, respect you less or take away your belt simply because you messed up or stuttered a bit.

However, if you keep dodging your duties, they WILL begin to lose respect.

Dee: there's probably an instructor watching as you warm the class up, right? Because it's your class, they already know what they need to do. They're just waiting for your command. Besides, you can't possibly screw them up for life. After you pass (*crosses fingers for dee*), keep in mind before class how many jumping jacks/pushups, etc. you'll have them do. When it comes to push-ups, just bear with it ;) Make sure you have the class do a good amount, so you're pushing yourself, not just doing 20 push-ups (or however many) because it would be easier.

To sum it all up: Nike. :D

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Don't worry about it everyone is nervous the first few times they do it. Confidence comes with expirence. You will get the hang of it after a while :)

Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo, 17 Years Old 1st kyu Brown Belt in in Goju Ryu Karate-do, & Shodan in Okinawan Kobudo

Given enough time, any man may master the physical. With enough knowledge, any man may become wise. It is the true warrior who can master both....and surpass the result.

I AM CANADIAN

Here are some tips that have helped me over the years when speaking to groups.

1. Be prepared. Know what you are going to talk about. Try not to speak about things that you don't know.

2. Speak slowly and clearly. Most people, when nervous, tend to talk quickly. Remember to pause and to breathe. This will also give you time to allow your thoughts to keep up with your mouth.

3. If this is a new experience, keep it short, sweet, and to the point. This will help your confidence. Small successes lead to bigger successes.

4. Look around the room. Try to look just over the heads of people as looking into their eyes can sometimes be distracting.

5. Be yourself. Trying to be someone you are not can lead to disaster. People enjoy sincerity. Smiling is also nice :D and can avoid that deer in the headlights look.

I hope this helps. It gets easier and more natural the more you get up there and do it. Good luck. :)

I had to lose my mind to come to my senses.

Thank's so much you guys!!! This is really helping. All of you're advice is great. Sometimes what anyone needs is just a little support and a lot of luck (*wink*). Speaking of pushups...wait, I wasn't speaking of pushups. Oh, well. I started thins so now I AM speaking of push-ups. Where do I put my arms? Directly under my shoulders or down by my ribs? That, and keeping my body staight, and bending my arms, is usually my problem. Anyone have a pushup pic for the photo album? lol.

Grrr,

Dee

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

One of the many enjoyable aspects of MA is the feeling of acomplishment.

Personally I have always had problems with stuttering. But after years of playing in bands, and challenging myself, my stuttering is almost gone. I have even worked as a conferansier at concerts! Facing your fears is what makes life enjoyable.

Best of luck :)

Read a book!