• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I am testing for my brown belt soon and i am extremely nervous for several reasons.

1. I want to live up to my rank.

2. I want to be a good "role model"

3. When you are a brownbelt, you stretch out and warm up the whole class. I am horrible at being in front of people, and pushups.

4. I want to be my best for the test.

Anyone have anytips on how to handle nerves, or had this problem yourselves? I could use the advice.

Thanks,

Grrrrr,

Dee :karate: :o

Dee C.

Normal ( 'nor-m&l)-

an adj. used by humans to stereotype

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

1. Be sure you know all the techniques and katas you have to know for that rank, refresh the jap-english karate terminology.

2.Role models aren't always the ones who do the right things all the time..Go there and do your test with all your heart and even if you do something wrong, you'd be still a role model.

3.Let me tell you, when you have sometime in front of the public, you'd start to feel less nervous and in a minute, you won't be at all. Just go there and Do it, you'll be relaxed after a few minutes.

I'm involved in theater so i know what im talking about. lol

4. Close your eyes, Take deep breaths...count to 10...

Good Luck!!!!

Well, speaking I have never found hard. I just speak and it happens.

Remember that any good Martial artist proforms with confidence. So treat it as if you were in the class. Enjoy the respect that you will get from the lower grades. Especially if you earn there respect.

As for techniques, practice and focus. Also enjoy it.

Take Care

Dee:

1. If your instructor believes your are ready to promote to brown belt, then you are ready, so no worries :up:

2. So long as you set the example for the yourger ones in your dojo, then you are already a "role model" whether or not you knew it.

3. Once you obtain your brown belt, then accept the role of a leader by warming up the class. See it as a challange to a new kata or technique. Accept it and conquer it :nod:

4. Be yourself, have fun, focus, and everything will work out :)

5. Don't forget to keep us informed on your progress :D

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Hiya Dee.

I'm in the same boat. I'm not testing, but I'm the class senior for the adults ( night beginners class ). Being a green belt, I have to say the student creed, and I am bad at speaking in front of people. I got out of it because I go to day class (all ranks). But I need to make up classes, and the only way to do that is to go to night classes ..... eeekkkkk.

Laurie F

Again the key to people who are not used to speaking. Just talk about what you know. Don't try and teach above your head. Admit you don't know all and just be yourself.

As far as nerves go before you test. People ask me all the time if I am ever nervous. I say no. Why? I feel like if I do my best and go as hard as I can it will all work out. Self Confidence is huge!!! Set yourself up to do well by doing what you know and doing it to the best of your ability on that given day. Effort and Heart go a long ways.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Hey, I puked at both my brown belt tests (we have two degrees of brown), and I passed both times! Heck, I even threw up on my glove and then hit the guy I was sparring...with the glove! Not intentionally, of course ( :angel: ), but I still haven't heard the end of it. :D

Make sure you practice EVERY requirement from white belt up to your belt as often as possible. You basically want it to become a habit, to where you don't even have to think about it...the instructor gives the command, and your muscle-memory performs for you.

As far as speaking in front of class, I'd tell you to imagine everyone in the underwear...if I knew what on earth that was supposed to mean. What is it supposed to mean? Personally, I'd do everything in my power NOT to see my class in their underwear :lol: :o

*shudder*

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

*involuntarily shudders again*

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.