• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How can I drop weight healthy for Boxing?

So I'm boxing now, I weight about 147lbs and I'm about 5"5. I need to lose 17lbs according to my Coach, and in a couple months.

I desperately need help. Anyone give good advice? Routines/foods/workouts you do, how often, how long?

Please and thank you!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

You are going to have to scrub your diet clean. Look at what and how much you are eating. Do some research and figure out a good diet. Then up the cardio and watch the portions. At your size 17lbs is a bit to cut. Also, do you have time to cut the last few pounds in water weight and rest and re-hydrate before your fight? If so, the last 2 or 3 pounds can easily be dropped with a good sweat.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

Agreed. The diet has to go lean. All the way down to tight portion control. It'll be a battle for sure.

Shori is right, if you can weigh in the night before, then rehydrate, 17 pounds becomes WAY easier, if not more miserable for the last couple of days. If you have 24 hours to get back on track, I'd look at even dropping 7-10 pounds the last week on just water (granted, it will be WAY healthier to do the calorie work earlier, I'm not arguing that).

Also, look at adding more cardio to your regimine. I know, you're boxing, you do a lot already. Add a longish, slow run every day. The idea is not to bring up your fight cardio, but to burn caloires. When I had to pull my last big weight cut (to 155) I was on the treadmill all the time, watching TV, talking to the wife, reading. ect. If I had down time, I was on the treadmill.

Good luck and keep us posted.