• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Question for all you karate Historians..

boxingking

So my username is himokiri karate, the "himo" means "cord" and the "Kiri" means cutting which is the name of a karate style in the anime baki the grappler

Now the author of this anime/manga is keisuke itagaki an amatur boxer and a martial artist and is known for having lots of martial arts friends in real life.

Now himokiri is based on a practioner building up strength in there fingers,wrist,forearms and the method is done in this video that starts at 8:15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T--iJD7qhgM

Which got me wondering, Is there a guy in real life that has a Himokiri Karate? Perhaps a localy famous karate master known in the japanese karate circles who branched off from a popular karate style to find this particular style and he also happend to be friends with itagaki, the author of this anime?

If you are familiar with the japanese karate scene let me know if you have heard about this particular style!

Best Regards!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ok, I'm not a historian and I don't practice a pure Japanese style, but I will say that Anime is fantasy and if you're thinking of this being a real style, I fear you'll be disappointed. Himokiri Karate simply does not exist.

That being said, there are strikes that use fingers in much of the same manner. The Immortal Man strike in Shaolin Kempo being one of them. Of course you also have spear hands, sword hands, and trigger fingers.

A good spear hand can cause grievous damage, as is a well placed immortal man to soft tissue (eyes, throat, armpit, etc...) but you won't see it done like in that cartoon.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Ok, I'm not a historian and I don't practice a pure Japanese style, but I will say that Anime is fantasy and if you're thinking of this being a real style, I fear you'll be disappointed. Himokiri Karate simply does not exist. That being said, there are strikes that use fingers in much of the same manner. The Immortal Man strike in Shaolin Kempo being one of them. Of course you also have spear hands, sword hands, and trigger fingers.

A good spear hand can cause grievous damage, as is a well placed immortal man to soft tissue (eyes, throat, armpit, etc...) but you won't see it done like in that cartoon.

Truth be told all and all its basicly building super strong fingers, I believe in chinese kung fu its called "Diamond Fingers" which ofcourse does require the practioner to build a strong forearms and wrists.

But yeah the anime is martial arts fantasy that tends to exaggerate the ability of the martial artist in the series.

As far as the Himokiri karate goes...I was kinda curios if some dude brached off from a popular style to promote a karate that focuses on "diamond fingers" As well as the moves you mentiond in your post!

Manga is really good i am a fan. Don't think most manga stories are based on true schools or arts, sorry.

If You're at a level you could formulate your own school

OSU

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I'm a fan of finger strikes, Bil Gee as they call them in Wing Chun. The best training for them is finger point press ups.

You can always do Iron Palm training with fingers too. I wouldn't recommend it as it'll probably cause a break at some point.

I'm mostly a knuckle striker (standard punch and leopard's paw) so I do knuckle pushups and 2nd knuckle pushups. They hurt. lol

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█