• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I might look into TKD soon.

I heard from my mom that she might have me take up Tae Kwon Do at the ATA while I'm still training in TSD. My dad disagrees with the decision though. I think my mom wants me to rotate days or something like go to one 1 day and go to the other the other day. If not, they want me to take it when I get to a black belt here.

I do not mind this at all, but does anyone have any tips. I will actually go in the ATA closest to where I live and observe classes. I talked with the instructor and said I he could have me skip a belt if I'm ready. I know how the belt system at the ATA goes. I think the 2 belts we don't have at my TSD school are the camouflage belt and the purple belt.

Tang Soo Do - Red Belt (2nd GUP)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is the point of training in two different (but somewhat similar) styles at the same time?

Each school will have their own form sets and curriculum they will expect you to learn and practice. You will spend a lot of time spinning your wheels.

I would be hesitant to do it. The styles are very similar but with enough differences that you'll get pretty confused, especially this early on in your training. Why's your mum so keen on sending you to the TKD classes?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Better as in how? What do they offer that your Tang Soo Do club doesn't? I would be hesitant to change styles just because of price. Not all ATA schools are bad (there are good quality ones) but be wary if they've persuaded you mum to swap to them based on pricing alone.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

... If not, they want me to take it when I get to a black belt here...

That sounds like a good plan, if you want to start to cross-train.

However the main question that you have to ask is:

1. Do you want to cross train or swap arts?

As it can be confusing at time, added to the extra hard work :)

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I would recommend waiting until you get your blackbelt in TSD.

Question is your mum trying to get you to move schools because the cost but she's too proud to say so?

Sometimes Parents don't see what the Qualities of a Martial Arts school are only the cost. I know as I got a few McDojos about, One Instructor I know even asked me how much I charge and then undercut me by £1.50 a lesson

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

like many said...it's a very similar martial arts...I don't see the point and you will probably get confused...

I did many style myself but I've switch from japanese style to korean style.

You don't get confused at all.... Well sometime you go ichi ni san instead of hana dul set but that's mostly all lol :P

Anyway, It's my opinion

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

like many said...it's a very similar martial arts...I don't see the point and you will probably get confused...

I did many style myself but I've switch from japanese style to korean style.

You don't get confused at all.... Well sometime you go ichi ni san instead of hana dul set but that's mostly all lol :P

Anyway, It's my opinion

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.