• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Teaching a student to fall

Hi all,

I have a student who is worried about falling. I try to tell him it's only scary the first time and explained the proper slap out technique. I even made him push me off balance to execute a sweep on me (this particular one I find to be one of the hardest falls.)

What do you do with students that are timid about falling?

Edited by darksoul

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Spend a bit more time with them, try it from the floor first and work to their knees then squatting then standing etc.

I would have them lie on their back, then slapping the mat in the correct angle. one happy with that have them sit up, and "roll" backwards slapping the gorund etc.

Its just confidence

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Give him plenty of time on the mat doing slapping drills and rolls before you have him try a fall from standing. I start all my students this way and move them up with a gradual progression when they are ready. Many students are not ready to fall for several months to a year-it depends on their skill and confidence level.

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Do technique sequences that transition through low guard (ie - "on the ground, as if having fallen"), then point out at the end of class that they had just finished doing over a hundred breakfalls. If they don't feel comfortable with controlled transitions from middle to low guard for some unknown reason, they won't stay any longer in class than someone in a boxing class who can't bring themself to use their hands to punch.

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Do technique sequences that transition through low guard (ie - "on the ground, as if having fallen")

Kempo doesn't really do that :P

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

in Hapkido, we have lots of falls...Most of our technics goes on the ground so...we fall a lot.

Each fall have 3 steps...

Example: back fall... steps for new students....

1st - sitting leg straight,arm crossed on chest, fall on back and slap the mat.

2nd- crouching position,arm crossed on chest, same thing after...

3rd - Standing etc...

We go like this for all of them...

Until they feel good and safe with the regular standing fall.

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

in Hapkido, we have lots of falls...Most of our technics goes on the ground so...we fall a lot.

Yeah, almost all of the techniques Yellow+ take to the ground. Just did quick head math, 80% of the techniques I have take to the ground, and that's not counting the black belt techniques. Falling is important :P

Each fall have 3 steps...

Example: back fall... steps for new students....

1st - sitting leg straight,arm crossed on chest, fall on back and slap the mat.

2nd- crouching position,arm crossed on chest, same thing after...

3rd - Standing etc...

That's basically what I did with him last night. Seems to be working :)

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

Don't discount rolling as a gateway either. Most students have less worries with rolling than falling, plus it's mechanically a sound skill to have later. Then, instead of completing the roll, have them slap out at the end rather than go to the feet.

It's essentially a break fall from rolling and again it's a solid skill in its own right.

It's also helpful to break down the movement, into even further component parts. Much like the movement Justice was referring too, have them on their back, feet in position, and have them work the break portion of the fall just to train them in the final position. Then move them into the progression.

Just a couple of thought.

Don't discount rolling as a gateway either. Most students have less worries with rolling than falling, plus it's mechanically a sound skill to have later. Then, instead of completing the roll, have them slap out at the end rather than go to the feet.

It's essentially a break fall from rolling and again it's a solid skill in its own right.

It's also helpful to break down the movement, into even further component parts. Much like the movement Justice was referring too, have them on their back, feet in position, and have them work the break portion of the fall just to train them in the final position. Then move them into the progression.

Just a couple of thought.

Oh absolutely, but the fall I'm trying to get him to work on is the back fall. He'll be joining the group classes next month and will need to be able to take the falls when training with other students.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█