• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Pressure Points, Dim Mak, and more...

Dr. Dufrene always tells us that when applying these techniques, we're not focusing on an exact point. We're focusing on a region. He doesn't get too much into the "pressing into the point" or just touching the points. We attack the areas that the points are located on. So there is more room for error in a street situatio. It's more like changing our mindset from blocks being blocks and turning them into strikes. We're already hitting the same spot we were when we were blocking. Now, we're just adding a slight tweak to it to cause a little more damage. We're also learning ways to attack different spots that we didn't realize could elicit certain reactions. One right above the hip, for example. One to the right of the spine. Etc. And it doesn't require us having to touch a pin point on somebody and rely on them being sensitive to it. If we hit an area hard enough, although we may have missed the point, we still have hit the person with a hard strike. And most of the things we're doing are things we already do. They're just being done in a slightly different way.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr. Dufrene always tells us that when applying these techniques, we're not focusing on an exact point. We're focusing on a region. He doesn't get too much into the "pressing into the point" or just touching the points. We attack the areas that the points are located on. So there is more room for error in a street situatio. It's more like changing our mindset from blocks being blocks and turning them into strikes. We're already hitting the same spot we were when we were blocking. Now, we're just adding a slight tweak to it to cause a little more damage. We're also learning ways to attack different spots that we didn't realize could elicit certain reactions. One right above the hip, for example. One to the right of the spine. Etc. And it doesn't require us having to touch a pin point on somebody and rely on them being sensitive to it. If we hit an area hard enough, although we may have missed the point, we still have hit the person with a hard strike. And most of the things we're doing are things we already do. They're just being done in a slightly different way.

If you're not aiming for specific points and you're going for hard blows anyway, is it still pressure point training? Doesn't sound any different than any other strike to me.

That is and isn't the point I was making earlier. For years, I've known that a block to someone's forearm would make their arm numb sometimes. Now, I know that it's because I'm hitting a certain point on the radial nerve. And now I know that if I hit it at a downward angle (toward their hand), it activates the point even more. BUT, instead of focusing on pinpointing a tiny point on their arm and only focusing on that point, if you hit hard enough in that region, you'll get a response anyway. He's teaching us more about the science than the sensationalism, and he's doing it to show us that what we already know can include this new knowledge.

So we are aiming for certain points- the pressure points such as lung 6, stomach 9, etc. But if you don't hit the EXACT point, you can still get some kind of result. When you DO hit that point, the result can be devastating. He's also teaching us how to activate the points with grabs and some touches. But he's not trying to teach us to go for knockouts by touching points with the fingers. He's a TKD 4th dan that learned Kyusho, and he's approaching it as a supplement to our existing martial arts training. He's focusing more on giving us more knowledge as to why our techniques are designed as they are and how to make those techniques more effective by aiming at the correct points on the body.

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

That is and isn't the point I was making earlier. For years, I've known that a block to someone's forearm would make their arm numb sometimes. Now, I know that it's because I'm hitting a certain point on the radial nerve. And now I know that if I hit it at a downward angle (toward their hand), it activates the point even more. BUT, instead of focusing on pinpointing a tiny point on their arm and only focusing on that point, if you hit hard enough in that region, you'll get a response anyway. He's teaching us more about the science than the sensationalism, and he's doing it to show us that what we already know can include this new knowledge.

So we are aiming for certain points- the pressure points such as lung 6, stomach 9, etc. But if you don't hit the EXACT point, you can still get some kind of result. When you DO hit that point, the result can be devastating. He's also teaching us how to activate the points with grabs and some touches. But he's not trying to teach us to go for knockouts by touching points with the fingers. He's a TKD 4th dan that learned Kyusho, and he's approaching it as a supplement to our existing martial arts training. He's focusing more on giving us more knowledge as to why our techniques are designed as they are and how to make those techniques more effective by aiming at the correct points on the body.

Very well said and a good approach to getting the basics of pressure points IMO.

Thanks, Hammer. Do you have any experiences with Kyusho or Dim Mak?

I learned some pressure point applications in TKD, the GM had a lot of knowledge on it (not sure what system). Unfortunately we didn't work with it frequently enough to make anything stick.

He prefaced the 1st class by saying that some people are less sensitive to some points than others, and some won't be affected at all. But he made a good point- if I hit somebody hard enough on a certain point, even if it doesn't activate the pressure point, I've still hit him pretty hard!

I think this is the main concept that should be taken away with pressure point training. Not all will work on everyone, so make sure they are solid, effective strikes/contacts when you do them, so as not to rely on the response of the point itself.

And when pressure points don't work...one better have a reliable back up, and quick!!

Here's my broken record... :P

If a pressure point doesn't work...the most reliable culprit is the practitioner. These pressure points are verified my medical science, and not by the MA in general. Can't manipulate the darn thing, then go back to the floor until you can consistently...it's there...find it!! Still can't, then don't try that point ever again!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...

The way I'm approaching it is that I'm primarily a striker (karate), but I'm able to use my striking to attack the pressure points that I'm learning. And if the fight starts to take place in very close range, I can activate the points. But my main focus would be on my primary knowledge which is karate striking.

I'm also loving the ability to apply these points in my blocks, especially knifehands. Since I've started working with Dr. Dufrene, my blocks have been a lot more "potent".

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others