• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Re-starting my journey but stuck on what style to do!

Wabit

Hi everyone, just a quick few questions to help me make my mind up on what to do.

I studied Shotokan and got to 1st Kyu and gave up due to knee trouble, and moving to another county. (Bad excuses I know but I was young and stupid)

I am Female in my early 40's and not very fit and about 2-3 stone overweight, which is why I'm hitting the gym again!

Now I'm wanting to start all over again and have found 2 Dojo's near me.

One is ITF style TKD which I have been to a few times and really enjoyed, even the jogging / exercises which I haven't done in years, but had to stop due to damaging Ligaments at work. And after several Physio sessions I am now able to return to jogging / gym work.

The second one is Koku-Ryu and is near the gym I've started going to to strength my knee back up.

Looking at Koku-Ryu it seems a lot like Shotokan and am not sure if I want to go back to that same style, but TKD is also very similar. I am so stuck as to which one to choose so any input would help me greatly!

Thank you in advance.

Life is far more important then what you do for a living!!

Work to Live, not live to work.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I also had/have issues with my knees - cartilage problems, was treated by the GP, Physio and acupunctists.

Returned to the MA's (having done several styles of karate, inc Shotokan) and found that the best MA at this moment in time for me is Tang Soo Do, I guess the best description that I can give is a cross between Shotokan and TKD. Personally I ruled out TKD because of the kicks, especially when you go up the grades. As for Koku-Ryu I believe that it is more based on Wado-Ryu, rather than Shotokan karate. Alot of the kata's may be similar (with minor differents), however the applications (bunkai) I believe is different.

I'd say have a go at both (at least a couple or few classes in each) and see which one you enjoy the most. Also which one doesn't cause your knee issues.

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

My advice would be to visit your doctor to have your knee issues cleared to re-assume any style of the MA. A doctor might give you some type of a supportive/brace to protect the knee while you're on the floor.

See a doctor...I would.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Agree with the visiting GP advice as a starter for 10!

Also, why not go back to Shotokan, you've worked so hard to get 1st Kyu and if you advise the chief sensei about your medical condition then allowances will be made.

As I advise anyone who asks which style they should do, go and try a few, only you will know what is right for you.

I hope you get back into it and enjoy it as much as we all do!

OSU

:)

If I was beginning again I would take up Tai Chi Quan! It's something I can continue into my old age and not have to worry about "retirement"

failing that its the addage of go Fo a free lessons route.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I'd say you have to look at your goals. If you want to solidify yourself in a style, then going back to Shotokan where you can continue from your current rank would be a good idea. If that doesn't concern you, then look into which you will enjoy more, which school you feel is better, and which philosophy fits you best, and make your decision accordingly.

If you want to know any more about ITF, I'm an ITF-er and can have a go at answering any questions regarding that.

I wouldn't be too worried about the kicks and your knees tbh. You will learn them but all instructors should help you to adapt the movement to fit any limitations you have. Contrary to popular belief you also won't be doing too much kicking at the start anyway. As far as the patterns go its only front kicks up to mid-colour belt level, then side kicks. More complicated kicks aren't really learnt until 2nd kup and beyond. There's a lot more in the way of hand techniques first. Focus on getting your stances right at the beginning and this should help you strengthen your legs and your knees ready for when you start kicking. Alongside this its also probably worthwhile doing extra exercises like squats and whatever your physio has suggested in addition.

If the jogging is causing issues, please please speak to the instructor about alternatives exercise you could do. You don't have to jog. They could give you something that's a bit more lower impact and won't cause as much damage. Also see if a knee support helps?

I can't comment on Koku-Ryu but if you are interested in the TKD you'll see that there are bits and pieces that resemble Shotokan as that's where most of TKD comes from. Whole sections of the patterns will be identical to the kata you learnt previously so you may be able to pick things up pretty quick. A lot of the blocking and striking movements are very similar too and the stances are also very similar. Perhaps the biggest difference is the use of sine wave between stance transitions in TKD. In Shotokan you were probably taught to keep level when stepping but in TKD you are encouraged to return to the neutral position as you step through. It'll be hard at first to get this at first but if you persevere it'll eventually come naturally :).

PS if you want to know whether the ITF school you're going to is decent, feel free to PM me the details and I'll have a look for you.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Hi everyone, just a quick few questions to help me make my mind up on what to do.

I studied Shotokan and got to 1st Kyu and gave up due to knee trouble, and moving to another county. (Bad excuses I know but I was young and stupid)

I am Female in my early 40's and not very fit and about 2-3 stone overweight, which is why I'm hitting the gym again!

Now I'm wanting to start all over again and have found 2 Dojo's near me.

One is ITF style TKD which I have been to a few times and really enjoyed, even the jogging / exercises which I haven't done in years, but had to stop due to damaging Ligaments at work. And after several Physio sessions I am now able to return to jogging / gym work.

The second one is Koku-Ryu and is near the gym I've started going to to strength my knee back up.

Looking at Koku-Ryu it seems a lot like Shotokan and am not sure if I want to go back to that same style, but TKD is also very similar. I am so stuck as to which one to choose so any input would help me greatly!

Thank you in advance.

I'd pick the dojo with people most similar to me. Afterall, at 40 years old we're there to make friends as well as get in shape.

Knee problems are common in MA, one of the top instructors here in the UK has had double knee operations. One of our senior instructors, a 4th Dan is having his hip replaced in October. I doubt if it will keep him off the mat for long. I think returning to Shotokan might be a good idea, you have fair grounding in it and maybe a future with the right instructor.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd update you on what I've decided.

I am sticking with KoKu-Ryu been to a few lessons and have settled nicely, the kata's are so similar to Shotokan and I just feel it's my right path to take.

Thanks for all the advice and words or encouragement. Oss!

Life is far more important then what you do for a living!!

Work to Live, not live to work.