• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

BJJ classes and women

I'm extremely interested in starting Jiu jitsu, however, every school within a reasonable distance from my home/workplace is filled with men. That's not an issue for me, but I feel like it would be an issue for all of the fellows. I feel that I wouldn't be a challenge to any of them (5'5, 110 pounds of skin and bones) and that I would just be that student no one wants to work with. And I also don't want to be that girl in the back of the class. You know what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm over thinking, but I wanted to get your opinions! How do you feel about working with a woman on the mats?

Nidan - Isshin Shorinji Ryu Okinawa te.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I'm extremely interested in starting Jiu jitsu, however, every school within a reasonable distance from my home/workplace is filled with men. That's not an issue for me, but I feel like it would be an issue for all of the fellows. I feel that I wouldn't be a challenge to any of them (5'5, 110 pounds of skin and bones) and that I would just be that student no one wants to work with. And I also don't want to be that girl in the back of the class. You know what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm over thinking, but I wanted to get your opinions! How do you feel about working with a woman on the mats?

Women and men alike ask this question on grappling forums all over the internet, and the overwhelming majority of people think that more women should take up grappling! There will, inevitably, be one or two guys in the gym that don't want to work with you because you are a woman, but that just means that they aren't worth your time. If the instructors and some of the more experienced students are willing to work with you then you will be just fine, and if you stick to it then anyone who is hesitant will eventually come around. Just remember that you aren't SUPPOSED to be a challenge for them when you start--you'll be a brand new white belt, just like everyone else who starts a new martial art, and they will expect to work with you and let you practice on them when you roll until you start getting better and they can increase the difficulty level. Just like sparring, rolling isn't a competition, it is a learning tool. As far as "awkward touching" issues go, martial arts are contact sports and if you are training with sufficient focus and intensity you don't even notice.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Training with women in BJJ isn't an issue. Training with new white belts isn't a problem either. From the instances I've seen with women in BJJ schools, it's never been a problem.

As Wastelander said, some might have an issue, but plenty won't so just don't work with those who might avoid rolling. It's not going to leave you short of training partners.

So, my advice would be to sign up and start enjoying the process. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Trust the protection and guidance of the instructor. Most, if not all instructors worth their position would assure that nothing negative would occur that's uncomfortable across the board.

As far as the floor, most, if not all instructors worth their mettle would ensure that ALL students are treated equally across the board. Floor/mat time is critically important and I don't see that being an issue because learning can only happen whenever there's no unjust temperance among students.

Men that don't want to work with women and vice versa...tough kitten...you're there to train, therefore, gender of an attacker isn't guaranteed, so learn how to work with all types of students, and again, trust your instructor.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I've trained with a couple women over the past few years in bjj. The one I train with on regular basis is hard to handle and has great technique. She can hang with any guy she goes up against. As for the awkward postions and touching. When I roll with her I do keep in mind that she has places that will make her uncomfortable so I do avoid dilibertly touching or grabbling. I respect her as much if not more than some of the guys on the mat. She never has a problm going with anyone.

Any good instructor and schoo will welcome you with open arms and respect that you are new and you are a female. There shouldn't be a problem with getting help and respect from the instructor or other students. If there is run. Most BJJ schools are like family so they're not going to disrepect each other.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is late but I wanted to wait until I had gone to a few classes before I posted my response.

Thank you all very much for your input. I was really nervous about joining a bjj school for fear that the men would not want to work with me- but as most of you stated, everyone was more than happy to roll with, and help me!

The gym that I have been going to also has quite a few women my age, and they really do hang with the guys!

Thanks again.

Nidan - Isshin Shorinji Ryu Okinawa te.

• 2 months later...
I know this is late but I wanted to wait until I had gone to a few classes before I posted my response.

Thank you all very much for your input. I was really nervous about joining a bjj school for fear that the men would not want to work with me- but as most of you stated, everyone was more than happy to roll with, and help me!

The gym that I have been going to also has quite a few women my age, and they really do hang with the guys!

Thanks again.

Glad you hear you had a good experience and seem to have found a good school.

• 2 weeks later...