• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

10 things to share as a student/share your opinion

chrisw08

10 Things I would like to share as a student

1. If you have a good sensei- If it was not important he would not of said it- listen when he talks

2. Perfect and refurbish everything you know first instead of striving so fast to learn more when you don’t fully understand what you know or think you know!!

3. Get in the zone and perform your kata like its actually happening and your defending yourself against your instructor or training partner.

4. Hands before weapons- Sometimes people start trying to learn the weapons right from the beginning- put it as second priority until you have trained at least a few years with your hands. Doesn’t mean don’t practice just practice your hands around 80% and weapons 20% instead of the other way around.

5. Examine your kata and learn what you are actually doing. Instructors should be teaching you what is actually happening in your kata and what you’re doing to stop it.

6. Don’t be over confident but don’t ever put yourself down. You will meet rocky roads in your learning path but you also find smooth and easy roads sometimes. Remember your learning not just having fun so it’s going to be hard at some points.

7. Lift weights for power and run/move to gain agility also wield the biggest weapon you can control in practice. Practicing with 3 pound Bo’s and 5 pounds Sais just makes practicing that much more productive when you go to a medium weight weapon as long as you can control it.

8. Practice your kata and drills over and over again so that it comes natural. Do it in a structured manor so that you don’t just end up doing random stuff. Repetition is the key to mastery so make sure you know what you’re doing everyday and how many times.

9. Don’t fight just to fight everything you learn is to practice or to use in the moment when you might lose your life. Not just a fun game.

10. Last of all make sure you have a good instructor. Don’t be put down by an abusive instructor that is just there to make money put you down or just never teach you anything at all. Make sure it is a man that you would want to be one day or it’s not the right one. If you feel uncomfortable around your instructor then there is probably a problem there. Remember there are many teachers so don’t feel like an abusive one is your only choice.

I would like to hear others peoples 10 opinions on being a good martial artist or discuss anything that I said.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

In terms of 4, I agree and go further in that I have no desire to learn weapons because Karate translated means Empty Hand. Thats the beauty of Karate, it doesn't rely on weapons. Afterall, you may not be able to find to hand a weapon whereas you ALWAYS have your hands with you!

In terms of 4, I agree and go further in that I have no desire to learn weapons because Karate translated means Empty Hand. Thats the beauty of Karate, it doesn't rely on weapons. Afterall, you may not be able to find to hand a weapon whereas you ALWAYS have your hands with you!
I'd have to slightly disagree with that one because I understand where your coming from but when you train with your hands your hands become deadly but putting a weapon in your hands you become even deadlier. Its an extension of your body but still your using your hands so training with a weapon trains with your hands to and translates your hand training to the weapon with more control and understanding how to attack. I understand what you mean if you couldn't find a weapon but if you could then you would want to know how to use it especially if you were in your house or somewhere close by and could not reach a firearm.

Imagine someone barges into your house with a weapon attempting to kill you close to where your standing and your a master of both hands and weapons. You could lunge forward and fight with your hands but you could reach over and grab a kitchen knife and jab your deadly intruder with a punching strike like you train with the sai. penetrating the attacker and ending the fight quickly. Which would be better? They are both important to me in realy life deadly situations because you have to be good with your hands to use a weapon but if you use a weapon your not using your hands naturaly.

So I just ment it is better to master your hands before putting a weapon in it. You wouldnt want to fight someone that had a weapon empty handed. Its karate and supposed to be empty handed because thats what it translates to but thats where the kubudo came in!!! Ever time a karate instructor tell you to run when an enemy has a weapon so what if that if they have a weapon you dont have a choice and you can pick up a weapon. Wouldnt that make it more even.

Re the weapons/no weapons debate, it really depends on why you study martial arts. If you want to be a great fighter (or self-defender) then yes - in addition to empty hands skills you need weapons skills, and grappling skills, and ground skills, and so forth. It is people like that who I think naturally gravitate to the MMA scene.

For me, the study of martial arts is not really about self defence. It's just a nice side-benefit. I started as a student for the health and fitness benefit, but somewhere along the way the study of the discipline became its own end.

The other day I had my first session in probably 7 years, and it all came flooding back - the enjoyment from just immersing myself in the style, being 100% aware of my body, no distractions, concentrating on and perfecting my control over the way I move.

Slightly off-topic, but I have always firmly believed that everybody who studies martial arts (no matter the style) should someday try tai chi. I have only studied it intermittently, but have found its principles hugely helpful to my whole mindset as a martial artist.

My sensai knows a tai chi kata it is the last thing his master taught him so he said we are all required to learn it. Im kenshin kan shorin ryu and kubudo matsumura seito but he said we are all going to learn it to relax and understand how to relax with your moves and focus. When we do it in class it does feel relaxing afterwards and I feel at peace.

I only have 2 points which I consider as ethos etc

"true victory is victory over oneself"

and encompass the true meaning of "OSU"

I'm not too keen on points

4 - Weapons are NOT the be all and end all. Many arts don't do Weapons in their syllabus and not too sure where you're from but Weapons are illegal to carry in the UK.

7 - Weights and Bo staff training, not all martial artists use wieghts etc as part of their training, some use natural tools to keep thier bodies in line with their training, Pilates and Yoga can be more demanding on the body than a weights programme.

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

That's a pretty good list. #4 I don't agree with, though. Weapons can be just as useful as learning to use your hands, and they don't necessarily interfere with one another. They are two sides of the Martial Arts coin.

I do agree that weight training is beneficial to the Martial Artist, as well.

That's a pretty good list. #4 I don't agree with, though. Weapons can be just as useful as learning to use your hands, and they don't necessarily interfere with one another. They are two sides of the Martial Arts coin.

I do agree that weight training is beneficial to the Martial Artist, as well.

Ditto, on both points. In the case of two equally trained individuals, the better conditioned will win. Weights are a good avenue to that, as are the methods mentioned by Dobbersky. Pick the one that best suits your goals and mindset. The ability to continue training after the glamor has worn off is almost more important that the physical trainings end result.

On the weapons front, and I'll come at this from a self defense aspect, the sooner you start to work those skills, the sooner you'll have them at your disposal. As Dobbersky pointed out very well, this should include a complete understanding of the legalities of this in your region.

From my background, I'd say as soon as yellow/orange level (just to see if the student is going to be around) you should start familiarization work. Even if it's just the defensive side of the equation.

Having a calm and peaceful mind is the essence of Karate. With no relaxation there is no speed. With no focus there is no power.

That is a great point you mentioned , that is the concept of my karate practice and a life long strive to make it better and better ...the longest amount of relaxation and shortest amount of kime at the right time .

I also agree with Chris on all the points he raised but emphasise with no 1 , having a good sensei ... if you have that then you have a chance of all other 9 points .

In my karate practice I have been taught to deliver every technique as if my life depended on it and practice and execute kata as if I am in a fight ,when we do the kata slow we try and be as correct as possible but when I did it fast I do it as if I am fighting opponents all around me within the frame of the kata .

never give up !