• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have a belt test in about 2 weeks.

We have so many breaks in hapkido. Just did 2 boards (no space) knuckle punch and jump duit chagi (jump back kick) 1 board recently.

The hammer fist is SERIOUSLY.....one of the easiest... Don't worry at all.

You will break it like butter....Just think of hitting something at least a foot behind it....NEVER stop, try to hit what's behind.

It's all in your mind. (that's why kids don't succeed sometime, they think too much and stop by fear of getting hurt and get hurt lol).

How thick are the boards?

We use 1 inch thick board

Knowing others is intelligence, knowing yourself is true wisdom.

Mastering others is strength, mastering yourself is true power.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

About this same topic, my sensei told me Monday that I would be testing soon, and he wanted to make sure I was ready mentally for what was about to happen. Last night, we went over katas, and when class ended, he told me again that I needed to be ready. So he asked me to pick a kata- I picked Godan. I went thru it, and he we went thru applications from it. After that, he said that for what's coming up, I need to know what every move in every Kata I know is used for. And then he said "a black belt or brown belt needs to know that."

Now, I expect to test for brown. I was hoping to skip 2nd kyu and achieve 1st kyu. However, it sounds like he's giving me the criteria for the black belt test. I have 2 trains of thought on this.

1. I have over 2 years combined of training in Shotokan and in this system. And compared to the black belts in my class, I feel that I have knowledge and skill equal to, and in some cases, better than those guys. So compared to the people I train with, I feel like if I would be awarded my black belt, it would put me where I would need to be in this system compared to my peers.

2. For me, I'd prefer to be a great brown belt rather than a subpar black belt. And comparing my skills and knowledge to my sensei (which is foolish, but, hey, I'm very competitive!), it's obvious that I have so much left to learn to truly be a "master" of the system.

So on one hand, I think that compared to the people I train with, I have what it takes to be equal to them (and better) right now. On the other hand, I not only want to achieve a black belt (as it has been a personal goal for 25 years). I want to be a great black belt and become a master of the art.

He gave a speech at the beginning of class that stuck with me. In the class were me and his assistant (we share the same rank currently), a green belt, and my daughter, who is an orange belt. He was talking about testing the green belt and the responsibilities he has to become a blue belt. Then he said that we were the nucleus of his system. He then said he was thinking of some "meritorius" promotions. That's what made me think.

I've been out of the "ISKA JKA" loop for a while. I know that it was pretty difficult (when I was there) to get a meritorius promotion. I did skip a rank back then, but I had missed my orange belt exam and tested the next time with my class. He has said that he doesn't put a whole lot of emphasis on the amount of time you spend in the class. He puts his emphasis on the knowledge you gain in the time you DO spend in class and the skills you display. He has told me what he has seen from me. So I guess he is more qualified to make the distinction than I am.

Sorry to rant. Just thinking out loud. Have any of you been in that situation?

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

We just tested a 3rd Kyu to Shodan in one fell swoop a couple weeks ago. He demonstrated the skills and the knowledge and our master decided to grant him Shodan.

If your instructor thinks you are ready and worthy of the rank, he will give it to you.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

We just tested a 3rd Kyu to Shodan in one fell swoop a couple weeks ago. He demonstrated the skills and the knowledge and our master decided to grant him Shodan.

If your instructor thinks you are ready and worthy of the rank, he will give it to you.

Pass on my regards to your friend.

Resepctfully as I know your instructor had a specific criteria for grading students. And i am not there to judge what happens in other Styles/Dojos etc.

I have a different criteria and in my Dojo I would never Jump Students at the higher grades. For me, doing the technques aren't enough, its about how one perceives each teachnique and how one "feels" inside that are moer important

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I think I got my orange belt. I broke the board and they said I had good forms.

When do you find out?

I hope you passed as it sounds like you put in a lot of hard work for your grading

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

Pass on my regards to your friend.

Resepctfully as I know your instructor had a specific criteria for grading students. And i am not there to judge what happens in other Styles/Dojos etc.

I have a different criteria and in my Dojo I would never Jump Students at the higher grades. For me, doing the technques aren't enough, its about how one perceives each teachnique and how one "feels" inside that are moer important

This student is actually an assistant instructor at the affiliate school, so he definitely was worthy of the rank.

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█