• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Koryu Uchinadi

Ascalon

Hi all. First post in the forum... signed up specifically to ask about this style of karate.

I'm a former TKD black belt returning to martial arts for the first time in quite a few years. I decided I wanted to give karate a go, unfortunately I don't live in a big city and the options are a little limited.

The main dojo in the city teaches this form of karate. Can anyone tell me a little more about this style, and how well regarded it is? I had never heard of it before and from a quick browse on the web it seems fairly modern. From what I can gather on their website, it doesn't seem to be a very 'pure' form of karate - there seems to be a fair few grappling techniques taught.

Koryu Uchinadi isn't something you'll find all over the place, like Shotokan, Kyokushin, Goju etc. I would greatly enjoy the chance, but I feel I'm more in line with a lot of their approach than I am with many more "main stream" styles/dojos. The grappling elements are present in most forms of Okinawan karate, when looking at their roots. However, over the years they have become less prevalent in training. I have theories and opinions as to why, but I think that's a topic for another thread. If the seizing/grappling/locking element is something you don't have an interest in, that's okay, but K.U. would not be for you.

The local dojo has instructors with Shotokan and Kyokushin dan gradings (both of which are the styles I initially wanted to try). On the other hand, a couple of the others have backgrounds in GKR - which even I know is a pretty notorious McDojo.

Is koryu uchinadi a credible martial art in its own right? How transferable are the skills if I was to move out of the area and want to join (say) a kyokushin dojo?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sounds like the instructors have the sort of background you're looking for technically, but are teaching from a different approach. The skills you learn, punches, kicks, blocks, etc. will transfer readily to Kyokushin. That will be the base the main instructor is formed on, so I can't see that he's changed that much. They'll be drilling them differently and I don't know if you'll be doing much knock down style sparring. So, there may be an adjustment there.

What I would do is this. go by the dojo, ask to sit in and watch a class or two. I can't think of any good instructors that mind someone interested in the class sitting quietly to the side and watching. Then speak to the main instructor and let him know what you're interested in. He will be able to tell you if it might be a good fit for what you want. And, if you're interested and they don't require long term contracts, I'd sign up for a month of training. 30 days should give you a good idea if it's going to be for you.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, I went to a training session last night to suss it out. I guess I had a mixed reaction.

It was a nice training environment - plenty of higher grades, everyone quite friendly. A lot more casual than I am used to. My last dojang was incredibly strict - lots of Korean, no speaking out of turn, firm rules on uniform, etiquette, respect to higher ranks etc. This place had a bit of joking around during the session and quite casual about things like bowing, turning your back on people, etc. The lead sensei was quite good, clearly very experienced and quite a good teacher. Very egalitarian. A bit offputting at first but a nice experience nonetheless.

They spar with shinguards, groin guards, gloves and mouthguards. I have never used anything except groin guards before. I found the gloves exceptionally annoying. Having my hands wrapped in big pieces of padding was unwieldy and unfamiliar. Not only do they use them for sparring, but also pad work. I don't like not being able to form a proper fist, let alone being unable to use proper knife strikes and holds.

The hand techniques threw me off a bit. Being from a TKD background, hand striking is already a bit of a second class citizen, but they use a lot of hooks and crosses which are less popular in TKD - I am used to very linear attacks, if that makes sense. I found it challenging but interesting.

They also keep their guard right up around their face, and use typically less of a side-on stance. It's more like boxing than TKD, to be honest. I got a lot of love taps from the black belts - mostly because I was very slow and unfit, but partially because I am not used to such close-in sparring. I kept wanting to kick them away. I think it was definitely a good learning experience.

They also do a lot of groundwork and grappling, which doesn't interest me much. Also, no cute girls.

Jury's out. I have a goju-ryu session later in the week, will compare the two afterwards and make a decision.

Edited by Ascalon

Well, I went to a training session last night to suss it out. I guess I had a mixed reaction.

It was a nice training environment - plenty of higher grades, everyone quite friendly. A lot more casual than I am used to. My last dojang was incredibly strict - lots of Korean, no speaking out of turn, firm rules on uniform, etiquette, respect to higher ranks etc. This place had a bit of joking around during the session and quite casual about things like bowing, turning your back on people, etc. The lead sensei was quite good, clearly very experienced and quite a good teacher. Very egalitarian. A bit offputting at first but a nice experience nonetheless.

They spar with shinguards, groin guards, gloves and mouthguards. I have never used anything except groin guards before. I found the gloves exceptionally annoying. Having my hands wrapped in big pieces of padding was unwieldy and unfamiliar. Not only do they use them for sparring, but also pad work. I don't like not being able to form a proper fist, let alone being unable to use proper knife strikes and holds.

The hand techniques threw me off a bit. Being from a TKD background, hand striking is already a bit of a second class citizen, but they use a lot of hooks and crosses which are less popular in TKD - I am used to very linear attacks, if that makes sense. I found it challenging but interesting.

They also keep their guard right up around their face, and use typically less of a side-on stance. It's more like boxing than TKD, to be honest. I got a lot of love taps from the black belts - mostly because I was very slow and unfit, but partially because I am not used to such close-in sparring. I kept wanting to kick them away. I think it was definitely a good learning experience.

They also do a lot of groundwork and grappling, which doesn't interest me much. Also, no cute girls.

Jury's out. I have a goju-ryu session later in the week, will compare the two afterwards and make a decision.

It is odd isn't it that, no matter how similar MA styles are, there is always a massive culture shock when you change Dojos. I changed about 12 months ago and it was significantly different in terms of all the things you have mentioned, not so strict in some, more so in others. You will surprise yourself how quickly you adapt though. Give it a while!

It is odd isn't it that, no matter how similar MA styles are, there is always a massive culture shock when you change Dojos. I changed about 12 months ago and it was significantly different in terms of all the things you have mentioned, not so strict in some, more so in others. You will surprise yourself how quickly you adapt though. Give it a while!

Hear hear!

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

• 2 months later...

I have over 10 years Goju Ryu experience and 2nd Dan in Goju. Prior to this I did various styles including Koryu Uchinadi for about 18 monthes. My current Goju sensei has trained in Koryu Uchinadi and my previous Koryu Uchinadi sensei is ex-Goju.

I would recommend both Goju Ryu and Koryu Uchinadi. Personally, I'm now and will always be a Goju man.

• 2 weeks later...

Ascalon,

If I were you, I would spend time visiting as many dojo in your area as possible.

As you are not wed by your past training to any particular style or ryuha, I would more weight on the ability, teaching style and character of each teacher, as well as the senior students.

I would want to make sure that the teacher is able to effectively and efficiently pass the art down, and is willing to do so.

In the end, if you're in it for the long haul, student teacher relationship, and teaching effectiveness is more important than the name of the art or dojo.

Chris