• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Shotokan karate brown belt claims he can defeat a gorilla

pirate333

I'm not sure this is the right place to post this, but the young fellow who told me he could defeat a gorilla with his hands and feet alone is a Shotokan karate brown belt, and has practiced Shotokan for six years. He is impressive, doing very fluid, balletic back high kicks and the like in front of me in a very flashy style. His contention is that the gorilla's greater strength would be offset by this man's skills in Shotokan and superior intelligence. I don't believe any human could defeat a gorilla in hand to hand combat unless the gorilla was very old or sick or debilitated in some way, due to the gorilla's far greater strength, speed and agility. But I didn't argue with the young fellow. Much of what he learned in Shotokan would not work, gorilla's don't move like humans. What do you think? All opinions appreciated.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on if he has any good take down defense!

In all seriousness, he's talking about defeating an animal that could literally slap his head off of his shoulders! Ask him if he thinks he would have an easy time defeating a 100lb pitbull (which is possible, but would be difficult). Then multiple it by 4! He's talking about defeating an animal 4 times his size and strength, faster, stronger, and meaner.

I'm a Shotokan man myself, and one thing it has taught me is self discipline. Not wreckless ignorance!

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Unless the gorilla was trained to play-act as if it were being beaten, it can't be done--he's either so arrogant that he actually believes the lie he's telling or he's pulling your chain.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Well, considering, in almost all styles you are effectively training to combat an opponent that is the same or similar build, height and strength than you I don't think even Funokoshi or any other Karateka of substantial ranking would make such an immature statement, let alone a brown belt.

It sounds to me that your friend is doing karate for all the wrong reasons and needs to spend a bit of time actually learning and maturing into karate rather than being able to simply do impressive moves in front of someone who has no karate experience (This is an assumption about you, my apologies if I'm wrong) and make statements that would be at home on the school playground.

I would love to see him try and take down my own Sensei, who is Shotokan 8th Dan with 45 years of experience. Now, he IS built like a gorilla so it might count if he manages it! :D

Lame, childish, foolish, and absurd comment.

Put him in a cage with a gorilla I say. Tape if for PPV. Profit!

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

One statement "Brown Belt" This says it all. The thought of getting to black is messing with his head.

I know that there are 98% Brown belts including those on here are perfect examples of how one should be as a senior Mudansha, and I am proud to be associated with them. Then you get the 2% like this guys who wants to take on the world.

I wouldn't go against an Alpha Male Chimpanze or Baboon. let alone a Gorilla. Too many films I think

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I would love to see him try and take down my own Sensei, who is Shotokan 8th Dan with 45 years of experience. Now, he IS built like a gorilla so it might count if he manages it! :D

Out of interest, who's your Sensei?

Mine is Billy Higgins, 7th Dan in Shotokan with a similar amount of experience time wise.

He might be able to if "beat" includes "Gorilla leaves, having realized that this is stupid, that beating up a small hairless primate won't grant him any status with the ladies, and he has fruit waiting for him that won't eat itself". Which would prove the superior intelligence of the gorilla. :lol:

"Anything worth doing is worth doing badly." - Baleia

Out of interest, who's your Sensei?

Mine is Billy Higgins, 7th Dan in Shotokan with a similar amount of experience time wise.

I'll pm you! :)