• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Just participated in my first official BJJ class. I am taking classes at the academy run by Marcello Monteiro in Indianapolis.

I thought long and hard about what martial art to participate in. I wrestled in high school, and the mental and physical challenge of BJJ really intrigued me. I'm really glad I chose BJJ!

The first class was a lot of fun, and I was totally lost! Thankfully, Professor Monteiro seems to be a great instructor, and patient too. I was having a great time until I was sparring (rolling?) at the end with another student, just trying to escape from my back, giving him an opportunity to work, and I tweaked a rib. Thankfully it was nothing too bad, and I should be able to at least learn some new stuff at my next class!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Glad you enjoyed the experience. BJJ has been a great thing for me in my martial journey. You'll find that it floats between so many needs, from self defense to sport competition to one of the pillars of mma. It's incredibly versatile and highly individualized.

I know a couple of guys that used to be in Marcello Monteiro's organization and they have nothing but good things to say. Having seen some of his instructional material I have to say I'm certain your in good hands.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things are going.

As a gimped up old wrestler who gets to toy with BJJ as part of our training, I'm glad you liked it. The majority of the BJJ academies I've heard people speak of have good reputations for being open and friendly.

I look at BJJ as an augmentation of my stand up for self defense. However, I'm training for my first grappling tournament in 5 or 6 years right now and I'm loving it. Like tallgeese said, it BJJ is an art that meets a lot of needs.

Kisshu fushin, Oni te hotoke kokoro. A demon's hand, a saint's heart. -- Osensei Shoshin Nagamine