• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Karate begins and ends with the study of Kata.

JustLuke

I often compare Kata with poetry. Both are a rich source of meaning and open to a wide variety of compelling interpretations. Both are examples of artistic expression that have lessons to teach about the self, the world and about others. It seems to me that the study of Kata is fundamental to the art. Without Kata, one loses much of the depth and substance of Karate.

Abandoning dedicated Kihon practice, one loses nothing. This is because the performance of Kata achieves the same results. When one performs a kata, one works the basics.

Abandoning rule-based sport-style kumite, one loses nothing. This is because kumite reinforces unhelpful behaviour and ignores 99% of the core techniques and applications found in bunkai. I've always argued that if you have the opportunity to bounce around on the balls of your feet and the space to move freely around your opponent then you can probably run away, which is usually a more effective self-defence strategy than going on the attack.

In conclusion, then, it is my contention that karate begins and ends with Kata. Within Kata you can find everything you need to become a great Karateka and a better person. Opinions?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It's a charged subject that's been discussed in about every martial circle at one time or another. For me, the practice of the basics (kihon) openly with not guessing or deciphering of intended bunkai, is far more valuable.

Drilling technique, with good fundamentals, is a more optimal method of learning to defend ones self in most cases. With kata, one must learn a pattern, become comfortable with it, then hope your instructor actually knows bunkai for it. Or, you have to start using other resources to ferret them out, or you start coming up with what you think fits retroactively. Then, in all three cases, you have to hope that those bunkai are effective and still relevant within the context of modern combat.

If you're drilling basics, and putting those immediately to work live and progressively building them under pressure tests, then your doing less work for more pay off. You immediately start with appreciable movements that you can start using without deciphering them.

This doesn't mean that there is no reason to do it, one might want to do it as part of an art that one want's to sustain the way it is thru history. That's fine. But every field of study mankind knows of has advanced in the last one to two hundred years dramatically. Including the understanding of learning and violence. There is no reason that unarmed combat should suffer because practitioners feel constrained by an antiquated training method.

The human body and how it moves has not changed in 200 years. What has changed is how we study and train it. Kata is as valuable a training tool today as it was 200 years ago. I respect those who prefer to train without it. However, I fail to see any difference between drilling a series of moves and doing a kata: They are essentially the same exact thing. You and your instructors either know there training modalities inside and out or not. Sandbag training was perceived as an antiquated technology just a decade or two ago.

Matsubayashi Ryu

CMMACC (Certified Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning Coach)

Last post on the thread, I promise :) .

I see a radical difference in the "liveness" in training between kata and other forms of training, regardless of how well one understands what's going on with the bunkai or not. I think if you put good kata footage up against good "live" training footage it will become apparent which is more effective at mimicking combat. Good is the key.

The human body hasn't changed, but how we understand learning and the physiological changes that go on with combat have. Grossman has done great work on how we should change based on this. Howe has some excellent articles on this and how to model "live" training as well. They are both way smarter and far more experienced in the field than I, I'll refer everyone to their work and let everyone draw their own conclusions.

To each their own. Again, I've never said there's no reason to do kata, just that it's not necessarily the best way to prep for combat.

Just Luke

In ShotoKai (the Sister of ShotoKan) They have abandoned the Kumite part of their Karate to concentrate on the other part of their Karate including Kata and Ippon Kumite etc

to me although my kata is Jissen based kata, I still feel it is part of the heart and soul of what make karate karate

"Challenge is a Dragon with a Gift in its mouth....Tame the Dragon and the Gift is Yours....." Noela Evans (author)

I think if you only did kata, then you have a unique form of calesthenics or aerobic work, and nothing more. I think its important to have more than just kata; after all, you need a second person and a form of sparring to apply the applications of the forms.

Seems to me that a great many varieties of kumite are ignored. Sport rules kumite is just one of many games. I think we learn best through games, and a game can be made to simulate any aspect of combat, with a bit of creativity.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

I often compare Kata with poetry. Both are a rich source of meaning and open to a wide variety of compelling interpretations. Both are examples of artistic expression that have lessons to teach about the self, the world and about others. It seems to me that the study of Kata is fundamental to the art. Without Kata, one loses much of the depth and substance of Karate.

Abandoning dedicated Kihon practice, one loses nothing. This is because the performance of Kata achieves the same results. When one performs a kata, one works the basics.

Abandoning rule-based sport-style kumite, one loses nothing. This is because kumite reinforces unhelpful behaviour and ignores 99% of the core techniques and applications found in bunkai. I've always argued that if you have the opportunity to bounce around on the balls of your feet and the space to move freely around your opponent then you can probably run away, which is usually a more effective self-defence strategy than going on the attack.

In conclusion, then, it is my contention that karate begins and ends with Kata. Within Kata you can find everything you need to become a great Karateka and a better person. Opinions?

Solid post and I wholeheartedly concur!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Those practitioners of the MA that don't believe in Kata in the first place are hard-pressed to explain to them as well as convince them the importance and values of Kata.

I'll always believe in the three K's...always.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!