• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My First Camp

blacknebula

I mentioned in the introductions thread that I just got back from a 4 day camp, and someone suggested that I write a short summary post, so here it is!

I've been training for about 2 years at an ISKF affiliated dojo, so I attended the ISKF Mountain States Camp, just north of Denver, CO. At one point my Sensei and another instructor from my dojo were also planning on going as well, but a new job and an injury prevented that from occuring. Therefore I was very nervous about going as I didn't really know anyone, but everyone was very nice and friendly!

The first night there was one training in the evening. The second and third days we trained from 6:30-7:30 AM, 10:30-11:30 AM, and 3:30-5:00 PM. Most of the time they split out the coloured belts and we had a separate instructor. There were only 15-20 of us (as opposed to probably a hundred or so black belts) so the class was nice and small and we got lots of individual attention. :) The last class on the final morning everyone stayed together. Master Okazaki taught this class. It was a bit difficult to understand him and I was horribly nervous whenever he came anywhere near me, but I was thrilled to have trained with him. He did a very neat three way drill that I really enjoyed. There was also a tournament on the third day, but only brown and black belts were allowed to compete, so I contented myself with watching (one of these days I must learn those referee signals!).

It was a bit intimidating to be surrounded by so many amazing Senseis, but it was definitely a very cool experience and I am so glad I went. Each different instructor had their own style and sometime someone just explains something in a slightly different way and the proverbial lightbulb goes on. Every instructor also has their own pet peeves, and many of the Senseis corrected me for things that seem to go unnoticed in my home dojo, all of which serves to make me better overall. Of course the downside to this is that sometimes I would be told something that directly contradicted something someone else had told me, but in these instances I would just say "osu!" and do the way the current Sensei wanted, at least for the duration of that class. :lol:

I'm actually insane enough that I am considering attending master camp next year.... :o

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sounds like great fun! :D

Haha, I feel ya on that last bit... I have three instructors. They contradict each other often. "OSU" and doing whatever the current one watching me wants is usually my tactic, too.

OSU!

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.

That's fantastic! Sounds like it was an amazing time!

I would love to attend one of those, even as a Kempo shodan, just to see how the other styles do it. Plus to have so many in one place like that.

Very very very cool!

Thank you so much for sharing :)

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

I've been training for about 2 years at an ISKF affiliated dojo, so I attended the ISKF Mountain States Camp, just north of Denver, CO. At one point my Sensei and another instructor from my dojo were also planning on going as well, but a new job and an injury prevented that from occuring. Therefore I was very nervous about going as I didn't really know anyone, but everyone was very nice and friendly! ...

Master Okazaki taught this class. It was a bit difficult to understand him and I was horribly nervous whenever he came anywhere near me, but I was thrilled to have trained with him. He did a very neat three way drill that I really enjoyed ....

I'm actually insane enough that I am considering attending master camp next year.... :o

That's cool! I'm moving to Philly this year and will be training at Okazaki Sensei's dojo for a few years. I'm really excited, but it's gonna be interesting going back and forth between JKA and ISKF. Last time I saw Okazaki sensei back a few years ago they were one in the same. I'm glad you enjoyed his camp. Maybe next year I'll go and see you too!

"My work itself is my best signature."

-Kawai Kanjiro

That sounds like it was a good time! I'd suggest to go to as many of those kinds of outings as you can; meeting new people through training is always fun.

• 2 weeks later...
I've been training for about 2 years at an ISKF affiliated dojo, so I attended the ISKF Mountain States Camp, just north of Denver, CO. At one point my Sensei and another instructor from my dojo were also planning on going as well, but a new job and an injury prevented that from occuring. Therefore I was very nervous about going as I didn't really know anyone, but everyone was very nice and friendly! ...

Master Okazaki taught this class. It was a bit difficult to understand him and I was horribly nervous whenever he came anywhere near me, but I was thrilled to have trained with him. He did a very neat three way drill that I really enjoyed ....

That's cool! I'm moving to Philly this year and will be training at Okazaki Sensei's dojo for a few years. I'm really excited, but it's gonna be interesting going back and forth between JKA and ISKF. Last time I saw Okazaki sensei back a few years ago they were one in the same. I'm glad you enjoyed his camp. Maybe next year I'll go and see you too!

Are you going to fall camp this Sept. 14-16th?

There is no superior style only different levels...

Huo Yianjia