• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sokuto tobi geri

Jojo

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Try doing it on a trampoline. My sisters and I used to do that move all the time when we were kids. I think we all got to the point where we could do it on solid land as well, but that was just an afterthought.

If you don't have a trampoline, maybe jumping off a dock into the water while doing it? Or you could even find a gymnastics place and use their foam pit.

Checkout my Insta and my original music: https://www.instagram.com/andrewmurphy1992/

Poems, Stories, other Writings: https://andrewsnotebook6.wordpress.com/

Youtube: @AndrewMilesMurphy

Although for Chusuko Tobi Mae Geri (same overall concept) I used to teach it like this:

1) Perform Hiza Ganmen Geri with hip extension.

2) Turn this into a hopping/jumping Hiza Ganmen Geri.

3) Once you have enough height on #2, lift the jumping leg so that it "kicks" your bum at the peak of the jump.

4) Put all of #1, 2 and 3 together, now change the hiza geri int a mae geri...

I figure that breaking it down into respective steps does wonders for maintaining a holistic view on technique.

The same can be done breaking down Sokuto Tobi Yoko Geri.

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

That is so cool. I will kick and jump till I can bend the knee up. That is the trick I was told in the beginning I think! I could not remember it and whatever I thought of seemed silly. Thank you.

I live in Japan so no trampolines or water play! I used to be able to do tobi sokuto geri better but I forgot how. Right now my jumping leg is too far down in a looser bend than it should be.

I support the Honbucho: We have 80 students and 3 classes a week but I need to learn a lot.

Glad you found it useful.

I find the hard part is getting the two parts timed well together (both the extension of the kick, and the "kicking my bum") at the highest point of the jump.

Good luck with it!

Osu.

"We did not inherit this earth from our parents.

We are borrowing it from our children."

Yes! I tried in the dojo and it was a little too embarrassing to really make a production of it....I'll wait for the right moment (soon)! Though it sounds easy, it certainly is not.

On a different topic, any idea how to get beautiful crescent kicks- kake geri and mikazuki? It is in the kihon for 2 dan.

I can hit my hand but I am sure my leg won't wrap around anyone's head. I am not allowed to actually hit heads in kumite, being a woman, but want to get the form right!

In kumite, women score only if we hit a specified area on a borgu we wear on our chest. Men have different rules.