• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

new to karate

tommyhales

hi there i started shotokan karate last week and im on a 2 week free trial and i love it

Glad that you love the art and style :)

the thing is at the end of this week i need to pay £100 fee which is for my gi a years licence my licence book my belt mouth guard and mits and a tshirt i also get the rest of the month free

That's not bad, you can pay up to £120 for a heavy weight Gi, around the £20 mark for a light weight one. Then the normal annual insurance is around the £20-£30 mark, mouth guard is around £2.50-£5 (for a cheap one), a club tee-shirt around the £10-£15 mark, mitts around the £10-£20 mark, then the rest of the month training. Not a bad price, it sound more than it really is :)

and after that i pay £30 a month considering its only 3 classes a week 2 in a dojo 1 in a highschool is this a good deal?

That's a good price, normally it around £3.50 to £7.00 a class in the UK

our sensei is a 3rd dan who has trained in japan what im asking is am i going to be paying to much?

3rd Dan is very respectful, however him being trained in Japan is irrelevant. I've trained under Shotokan instructors who have trained in Japan, not trained in Japan, who have had Japanese instructors and those who have not had Japanese instructors. They have all had high standards (not saying that they're all like that, but the ones I've come across have).

also im 21 years old and 6ft 1 but i weigh 25.5 stone thats 355 pounds i think not to good with math, any tips on how someone my size and weight could improve there training

Just keep on training, following the advise of the sensei. You mention your height and weight, but you don't mention your overall heath...

You may want to increase your aerobics, eg also do something like body combat/tae-bo or do weights for strength, etc...

Also, what association is the club that you affliated with, or is it independant?

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Tommy , if it is a good club then it is worth it . thirty quid for 12 lessons is also a good deal , good luck with your training and enjoy it ,it is a life long pursuit but it is worth all the effort .

never give up !

You can contrast that with my club if you like. No direct debits. We pay £4.50 each lesson, you don't train, you don't pay. £10 a year for a licence, £20 per grading. I paid £30 for a 14oz Gi, my Sparring mitts and shin guards were £25. My instructor is 4th Dan and the best I have ever trained with.

Look to the far mountain and see all.

You can contrast that with my club if you like. No direct debits. We pay £4.50 each lesson, you don't train, you don't pay. £10 a year for a licence, £20 per grading. I paid £30 for a 14oz Gi, my Sparring mitts and shin guards were £25. My instructor is 4th Dan and the best I have ever trained with.

That's not a bad deal at all. I pay $130 per trimester. Equals out to about $4.00 per lesson if you attend them all. As for the gi and the sparring gear, I bought mine years ago (although my new gi was $100 - not a bad deal for a $200 gi) and my testings... I'll be lucky if I'm even considered to test for Nidan next year :P

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█