• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Instructor Who Lives An Alternate Lifestyle

For the sake of discussions, I'd like to pose a hypothetical question(s), and please...be kind and not mean in your posts...thank you.

For a moment, put yourself in those shoes...

1) Parent

2) Student

3) Administration

What would you do or not do if you found out that one of the Godan instructors lived an alternate lifestyle?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with JusticeZero... it's just not important.

It's like asking "do you prefer an Asian sensei over a white/black/purple/gradient/polka-dotted sensei?"

Who cares? Doesn't hurt you or affect you in the least.

Edit: I would kill for a polka-dotted sensei LOL

Shodan - Shaolin Kempo

███████████████▌█

What do you mean by "alternate" lifestyle? Any specific one? As long as they aren't doing anything to hurt anyone else, they can do whatever they please.

This is one thing I love about everyone having to wear gi's/doboks in class; everyone's the same when we're training. Who cares what they do with the rest of their time?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm with Evil Dave and JusticeZero--sexual preference has no bearing on how skilled a person is at martial arts and teaching them.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

To me, and I'm not wanting to sound like the biggot here, because I don't think of myself as a biggot, but depending on what the alternate lifestyle is, it might make a difference to me. If I found out the instructor was smoking dope, it would probably affect whether or not I attend that school. It would also affect if I sent my kids to the school; other things might come into play, as well. The same sex relationship thing, would just depend to me. If the instructor was trying to use the MA class to push their beliefs on the students, then I would probably consider not going there. If they did not do anything other than teach MAs, then I would probably not let it bother me.

It would just depend on the situation. I think its easy to say "to each their own," but I do have my core beliefs, morals and ethics, of what I believe is right or wrong, and if someone tried to push some different beliefs on my family in that respect, then I would take that into consideration in regards to attending or not.

To me, and I'm not wanting to sound like the biggot here, because I don't think of myself as a biggot, but depending on what the alternate lifestyle is, it might make a difference to me. If I found out the instructor was smoking dope, it would probably affect whether or not I attend that school. It would also affect if I sent my kids to the school; other things might come into play, as well. The same sex relationship thing, would just depend to me. If the instructor was trying to use the MA class to push their beliefs on the students, then I would probably consider not going there. If they did not do anything other than teach MAs, then I would probably not let it bother me.

It would just depend on the situation. I think its easy to say "to each their own," but I do have my core beliefs, morals and ethics, of what I believe is right or wrong, and if someone tried to push some different beliefs on my family in that respect, then I would take that into consideration in regards to attending or not.

100% agree. It takes more than a yes or no on my part. I'd have to see the whole circumstances. Sexual preference or choices don't really bother me for the most part but substance abuse is a different story.

Yeah, I'd put substance abuse into it's own category for sure.

I wouldn't want to go to a school that had a political or religious agenda. My dojo has people of all different lifestyles and orientations, all different kinds of races and religions... but nobody pushes their beliefs on anybody else. We are all karateka, we are friends and family, and that is what matters.

http://kyokushinchick.blogspot.com/

"If you can fatally judo-chop a bull, you can sit however you want." -MasterPain, on why Mas Oyama had Kyokushin karateka sit in seiza with their clenched fists on their thighs.